Latest Catches Autumn/Winter 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

So is it worth fishing Catlins mid winter?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went for a fish off the rocks in Timaru the sea was quite milky in colour but still fishable. Cought 2 reasonable sized dogfish plus a carpet shark.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Te mahia point between 4pm and 8pm… Caught a KY and two spotties, nothing after dark. Sea was dirty with lots of floatsam… otherwise nice evening. Might give up on the Snapper until Spring.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished kaikouria for one day over queens birthday, typical winter fishing with Red Cod dominating.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Went up to Kaikoura on Saturday and met up with Greg (Firey Ginga? You still that name Greg?). Stayed two nights and came back on Monday afternoon. And yes all of a sudden Miliwolf turned up! lol. So that was good with the 3 of us fishing.

Moki fishing was pretty much non-existent although Greg did get a small one which he put back of course. Main fair was some good sized clean red cod. Greg caught most of them but I did get a few. Had quite a nice bag of fillets at the end of the trip. Met some locals up there and an Indian lady cooked up some red cod fillets and we had them for lunch on Monday and dam they were really good! Not the red cod I used to know, has given me a new found respect for this fish. It actually tasted really good, lol.

One thing is we fillited the fish pretty much strait away and I had a chilly bin full of ice that we then put the fillets on (put the fillets inside frezzer bags with a twisty tie), this and the fact we washed the fillets in salt water to get rid of scales and the like probably contributed to them tasting quite nice.

Was a good trip and perhaps I might duck out for some red cod fishing this winter around Canterbury.

Cheers
    Aaron

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

often fish is as good as the person who looks after it..a lot of us will only eat fish we have caught because we know we have looked after it..the water is nice out here today in doggy heaven..Im off to Horsepiddle the next few days to try out some more ticker plumbing so I can last the coming ele season..if I dont come back I will see all you fullas on the other side cheers :grin: :???: :grin: :eek: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

rayhunter
    Participant

hey you take care and have fun with the nurses and as you know what the foods like …. see you when you get out take care

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went for fish off the off the rocks near Timaru last night, Had something on but it got snagged on the rocks :x .I supspect it might have been a carpet shark or small skate. Next time im just going to fish off the beach as its too hard to land anything on the rocks in the dark,even had trouble landing a Dogfish as there is no lights.

HIPP
    Participant

good luck with your hospital visit Birdlings,let us know how you get on. and good on you fellas that are still fishing, Ive been hunting instead till the better fish return but Im still tuneing in to see what you are up to:), Cheers, Hipp

elmo22
    Participant

hope your opp goes well 4 u birdlings flat are you home yet or still in hospital big earthquake today hope you are not under the knife today

Miliwolf
    Participant

I went Snapper fishing in the sounds Friday night, and caught myself a Red Cod :cry: , incoming tide scared me so went looking for flounders instead, saw two :).

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a couple of weeks in Rarotonga and caught lots of fish in the lagoon and over reef.Nothing very big but they were beaut coloured fish and all types.
    Very heavy on tackle though,touch the coral and kiss gear goodbye.Had one day out gamefishing and landed a 20lb yellowfin tuna.Good to be back to the cold
    weather,can sleep better now.Top place to chill out though.

fishforpot
    Participant

Im saying this for everyone on this site socky ………….We HATE you lol

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Have to wait now for the surgery now!!thanks for all the good vibes!…Good to see you out and about Socky..Roll on Sept..When the fish come back..or OCT or Nov or whenever! :grin:

Hardy
    Participant

Good to hear from you Birdlings. Bit of a bummer your surgery being delayed. Just lay of the giant Thresher Sharks and the Single Malts
    and you won’t need it lol. Roll on spring. I might even get over and have a go at the Ellies myself. Have never caught one. What month they usually start.

Cheers Trev

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.