Your favourite rig?

Posted By Miliwolf On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Miliwolf 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Sevengillz
    Participant

not anymore 8) just sold my bike to fund a new fishing wagon.Im thinkn Toyota surf now.What model you drive Mili?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Mine is a 1994 Toyota Hilux Surf SSRX 3.0L turbo diesel. The older 2.4L turbo diesels blew their heads something chronically I been told resulting to a expensive repair bill.

Auto, because there is no momentum lost while changing gears. Less chance of getting stuck in the soft beach sand. Lacks slightly in engine braking but I rarely go down steep hills.

yellowfin
    Participant

ive heard from a few mechanic m8s of mine though not too get a diesel surf, in the long run a petrol is cheaper. a the road user charges and also the petrols ones last longer as well u can really run them intothe ground where as alot (not all) diesels crap out around 150 000…….. anyways as for the topic my favourite rig.. id say a live one on the end of my line

Miliwolf
    Participant

The fiery ginga

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah im thinkn 3ltr V6 anyway.Fuel consumptions not an issue.I was after a 3.9V8 Discovery but am hearing alot of bad shit about there reliability as far as the electrics,ecu etc are concerened.If not a surf then prob a v6 Terrano.Yeah I agree with you about the auto trans Mili.I reckon thats whats saved my car a few times :roll:

yellowfin
    Participant

werent meaning feul wise either. people at times think deisel is cheaper but im meaning petrol last longer apparently cause i was going to get a surf a few weeks back also looked at a terrano

Miliwolf
    Participant

I also eyed up a discovery… If I remember correctly they had stupid small boots. Could of been a different model. Anyway, to own a discovery you need a matching horse float and a lifestyle block. Hilux Surfs are great trucks, they handle very well on and off road.

I doubt that the petrol engines would have a longer life expectancy then diesel in surfs. Just asked on ORE forums, see what they have to say.

yellowfin
    Participant

this is kinda off the topic from a fav rig though. although i guess part of ur rig is ur veicle….

Jones Jr.
    Participant

I’ve now had a 1996 Hilux Surf 3L Diesel SSRX for around 3 months now, has been great.

I towed my 5.2m boat up to the Sounds and back from Chch no worries, no overheating, no problems at all.

I sold my old Nissan Patrol that was petrol and the surf is way better by comparison, but the Patrol was really a guzzler. It was an awesome 4WD though better then the Surf and you could get anywhere in it, the guy who owned it before me had it lifted, bigger tyres and suspension etc etc. Was cool!

Cheers
    Aaron

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Good solid truck arn’t they? My Dad owns one, never caused him any trouble, no cracked heads etc.

Though it did overheat when we went on a trip together, 30 degree heat air conditining on full blast, running the car into the ground, not a good combination :roll:

Miliwolf
    Participant

IMO best to avoid the ones with electric back windows… They are all cool and fancy looking the first 5 times but it quickly gets boring waiting for it to open/close.

There is heaps of after market 4wd mods for Surfs, but unless you find it fun to get stuck I do not see the point of modifying them.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members