Your favourite rig?

Posted By Miliwolf On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Miliwolf 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Miliwolf
    Participant

My favourite rig at the moment is a long cast pulley rig.

I use about 2 feet of 80lb black magic trace for the main body of the rig. To one end I crimp on a quality rolling swivels. This would be where I join the trace onto.

Then I would include a small hard bead followed by a softplastic clip, they are sometimes called “Link Clips”. Then I would use another bead. On the other end I would crimp on another “Link Clip”.

I make my trace out of a section of 80lb BM trace, to one end I would crimp my chosen hook. Which is followed by a moderate size glow bead (Or maybe a bright coloured bead). On the other end I crimp on a third “Link Clip”.

If I remember I protect all of my crimps with heat shrink wrap.

I have brought a pack of Bait Clips, which I intend to use but I have not worked out how to connect them.

Picture to follow shortly.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

Your rig sounds pretty good and tough! I always made mine using 80 lb backbone and traces (snoods) from D.A.M. Ultra Damyl heavy mono which was 38.6kg (about 84lb) until I ran out of it recently. I had three 100m spools which lasted

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, they are the same design as Genie Link Clips.

The “softbait clips” cost $3 for about 25 from the warehouse. But I got mine when they had their 40% off sale. While Genie Link Clips cost about $6 for 15. When I do the maths they are not that much more expensive but the warehouse ones are still very strong.

I suspect if a fish is strong enough to open the clip, they would break my mainline first.

yellowfin
    Participant

Strange as it may seem even a big Interlock Snap Swivel will

St_Paul
    Participant

I use the pulley rig a lot too, have used it

Miliwolf
    Participant

I Snell my hooks on when I am using 60 or lighter trace material.

I have recently discovered the really small rolling swivels sold by tackle tactics. They are relatively tiny but have a 75lb breaking strain. I like to keep most of the features on my rigs as small as possible to help reduce drag through the air. Although I try to only use high quality products.

The weakest link at the moment is probably the warehouse baitclips which I have started using. But they seem to be good enough.

I have brought a few IMPs to use, but find them to be overly fiddily little things. Takes me about 5 minutes to get the plastic into the clip and half the time it is back to front.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have now gone over almost entirely to surfcasting with streamlined clip-down rigs. This comes after decades of fishing with paternosters – usually with three snoods. It seems to me that, all things being equal, the greatest single improvement you can make to your casting distance comes by making you rigs more aerodynamic.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The question to these comments would be that now ur getting more distance are you finding that your catching more fish or do you think you may be casting past them? Alot of the south island east coast is deeply shelving and i personally have found i cast to far as sometimes when i cockup a cast i catch some really good fish on the shorter casts. Although saying all this i do find that i catch bigger fish the further out i cast.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Maybe.

But it is possible to cast a short distance with a long cast rig, but not always possible to cast a long distance with any old rig.

So it is nice having the option to cast out a long way.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hi,

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Genie clips now can be bought with 80lb swivels built into the eye of the clip

St_Paul
    Participant

have caught snaps, kahawai, rig, elephants and gurnard all on long casts.

been havin a heap of fun with kahawai at the diversion on spinners at the moment. Have also had a few smallish trout out of the wairau. lovin the move to Marlborough!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have caught no KY on my fly rod at the diversion this year*. Might head down there with my spinning gear. Are they in the river mouth or out at sea?

KY seem to be in good number all along the coast this year :)

* the last few times I went to my spot on the south side there has been a dozen whitebaiters and recently 300 vineyard workers all standing there fishing :evil: . The sooner the whitebait season ends and I get my side back the better.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah yeah the ol Diversion and the bar both get packed out nowadays,especially the mouths.I dont really bother fishing the mouths till after the xmas holidays but Im still down there most weekends on the motorbikes….makin a bit of noise for the whitebaiters/campers :twisted:
    Still havnt seen alot caught when I have stopped to check it out though.

Miliwolf
    Participant

So you are one of the noisy buggers on the bikes.

The main reason I fish there early season is that it is when many of the sea run trout enter the river. I have not managed to catch any yet but I would keep trying :(

The south side of both rivers are normally fairly empty, especially once the whitebait season ends. 9 times out of 10 I would have the southern bank to myself while people are nearly shoulder to shoulder on the north bank.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members