Salt water flyfishing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent all morning fly fishing with the freshwater anglers club, I caught nothing. The guy I was with also caught nothing…

Late afternoon went down to the diversion for a few flicks, landed around 7 small to modest KY. Total time spent fishing was about a hour, the spinners and bait fishers were not catching many.

Might fish the evening raise tonight.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down for a hour or so after work, caught around 10 KY but nothing big, for the first 50 minutes or so I was the only one catching…. A guy next to me caught a small KY then a big one, and I saw one or two small ones being landed down near the mouth.

Noticed a turn to the worst lately down at the diversion, a few people have started to use a set Net further upstream… They are probably not breaking any laws but is rather annoying that they are using a net in a area which has high recreational fishing values. Hope a trend does not develop, I have seen them down there the last few times I have been fishing.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Went out from Sumner around to Taylors (black rock) trolled a wet lure with no luck veried the depth anchored up but still no takes, fish appeared at different stages on my fish finder on the bottom 1m , 7.5m and on the surface yet no takes.

I tried some salted bonito even varied soft bait patterns i reckon they could have been Moki back?

St_Paul
    Participant

miliwolf wrote
    [quote:1xrvcov0]Noticed a turn to the worst lately down at the diversion, a few people have started to use a set Net further upstream… They are probably not breaking any laws but is rather annoying that they are using a net in a area which has high recreational fishing values. Hope a trend does not develop, I have seen them down there the last few times I have been fishing.

they have been doing this for a while. :evil:

have had a chat to Mfish about it and apparently its all legal. Mfish would support achange to make set netting illegal.

with the mouth getting so narrow the current going through makes it hard to fly fish anything other than slack tide. we need a big flood to open it up again!!

the nets are being used by tongan vineyard workers at times they are setting up to 3 nets in a stepped pattern which means sweet F A will be getting through. I gave them shit a week or so ago for leaving all their rubbish on the bank (including hooks with bait still n which one porr persons dog has managed to gobble up resulting in a large vet bill) I took photos including rego #’s of vehicles to give to the council. Apparently the council can trespass them but need proof. They don’t have resource to police it but may be interested in working with fishing clubs etc to set up volunteer policing.
    I pop down on an almost daily basis and am building up quite a nice wee library of photos.

they are also in breach of F&G regs as they are using gear capable of catching trout within 200m of a river mouth without having licences.
    They are now in my bad books and I will continue to work in order to ensure this splendid fishery remains available for all!!

Might have to see what it takes to become an honorary fisheries officer as I am constantly disgusted by what I see going on

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I have seen the net there on and off throughout the summer.

St_Paul

Miliwolf
    Participant

Caught my first blue back on the fly rod tonight :)

Heaps of blue backs were being caught on spinners, I landed around 10 modest KY on the fly rod. There was extreme feeding frenzies at time. Quite a few of the ones I caught have physical injuries.

Miliwolf
    Participant

[quote:165b0jn5]secret to getting line into a braided loop is to make sure you cut the end of the flyline at a sharp angle. makes it heaps easier to get the darn thing in there.

Gave it another try, Decided it is impossible to get a fly line into the braided loop :evil: .

Yakkaman
    Participant

weathers turned crap here again i might take yak to waimak and have ago for kys with fly rod i here the salmon is running.
    I’ll le you know how i get on.

Miliwolf
    Participant

There was a massive work up 300-400m off the mouth of the diversion around 9am this morning, sea was calm. The birds were working just on the edge of the dirty/clean water. Wished I had my kayak with me.

Might head out tomorrow morning with the Yak to see if they are still about.

Yakkaman
    Participant

anyone free this week thinking of banks penisular big burley and see whats around?

Miliwolf
    Participant

The recent flood has a done a good job blowing the mouth of the Wairau wide open, would be interesting to see what happens when river levels return to normal. I am predicting the river would remain wide but slowly return to its old channel. Its also forming a gravel bar 100-200m out from the mouth.

Diversion is big and wide again also. Probably would spell the end of the KY fishing for this year.

St_Paul
    Participant

Yup its back to the way it was last spring, expect it will stay that way until the river starts to drop to summer levels. Still with a bit of a wade I expect it will be fishable. Caught a nice kahawai down there before the fresh on a Ticer, was full of whitebait so will have a crack with some small bait imitations once it clears

Jackfish
    Participant

Just brought myself a Loop 5 peice 10 weight for next season

St_Paul
    Participant

Nice! bet that cost ya an arm and a leg! what are you chasing? I rarely use anything heavier than a 9 weight, mind you haven’t tried tackling a kingy on fly yet. Mostly just 3kg kahawai and I only use a 7 weight for those.

Jackfish
    Participant

Yeah it did cost a bit $1100!

Its a Loop Opti Power which is a light weight rod witch allows it to handle kingfish and sharks but doesn’t take anyu of the fight out of smaller fish like kahawa and barracouta. It also has a fighting handle above the grip to make playing large fish easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.