Salt water flyfishing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Yakkaman
    Participant

For thos interested i got this info from a guy on another site.

[color=#000080:2cgxkbqi]Hi

I initially went down to the rakaia lagoon to fish for sea runs and watched a lot of salmon anglers hooking kahawai. I fish for sea runs with my fly rod. As I didn’t have a spinning rod with me I put on the brightest lure I had and waited until they were in range and cast it out. First time I got broken off, they simply were immense. I tied on straight mono at 8kgs and next cast hooked into one. I landed 4 in an hour. They were in the 3-6lb range except the last one which was 8lb. Took me 40mins to get it in and I gave up after that. I was shattered.

I wouldn’t reccomend them on anything lighter than a strong 6wt. Since I have a Sage I don’t have to worry about it breaking, given their lifetime warranty is so good. Anyway a 6 on the bigger kahawai is still a handful. The problem is that the beach is quite steep and the fish really pull line. You need to make sure they don’t run up into the salmon anglers or you’re likely to get pushed in after it and you simply can’t get into the water. The rakaia is coming out at a fair rate and the tide is likely to pull you into the water. So the option is beach the fish on an incoming wave then run down and tail it up the beach.

So if you’re keen the conditions are crucial.

1. Look at the tide. Must be peaking during daylight hours. They won’t feed at night, they are sight feeders.

2. Be there 1hr before peak tide and watch for birds working the water – this is where the main smelt ball is and the kahawai will be in it too.

3. Get good strong tippet but not 30lb. You want it to be strong enough to play out the fish but not stronger than you can turn over on the fly rod or importantly more than the breaking strain of the fly line.

4. I’m now using clousers, crease flies and other things simply tied with flasabou or midge flash tied on 1/0 tiemco SW hooks.

5. When the birds are within fly range watch the water and if the kahawia are there then you will see them breaking the water as they chase smelt. I’ve seen them shooting along like dolphins and beaching themselves in the waves.

6. When they are close enough cast into the melee and strip like mad. I use the roly poly method because it means I strip strike and not high lift of the rod. If you strike like your playing a trout you’ll break the tip of the rod.

7. Play the fish with heavy drag on the reel, palm it if necessary to add drag. I wear a pair of neoprene stripping gloves to stop my hands getting wrecked AND to help grab the tail of the fish. Play the fish fromt he butt of the rod, not the tip.

I have just bought a 9wt rod and waiting on christmas money for a reel.

Small kahawai are around now in the rakaia mouth but the white baiters have dominated that area. They are also around the Ashley and waimak mouth. They are only 1lb in size but good practice.

Peak Kahawai time is Dec – Feb. Basically when the smelt are in, so are salmon and the sea runs, so I take all my tackle now.

The rakaia mouth is at the north end so it’s perfect to access without a quad or jet boat.[/color:2cgxkbqi]

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Well my rod is an 8 weight but we don’t get many Kahawai down here in Dunedin so I’ll give it a go for a sea run, and do some spinning for salmon, the Taieri would be a good spot for that, last time I was there I saw a large rainbow trout right in the mouth [I thought they stayed up in the fresh water?] Could easily have been 8lbs , my brother had it follow his lure 2-3 times.

Steelhead??? :twisted:

St_Paul
    Participant

Have had heaps if fun fishing for Kahawai with the fly rod this year at the wariau diversion using a 7 weight fly rod, intermediate or floating weight forward line and about 7 ft of 8lb fluorocarbon tippet. Tie my own flies so have been playing with different patterns and reckon I have it sorted.

Have caught kahwai up to about 8lb and often catch heaps more than spin fishers.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Good going there St_Paul so you just tying tippet straight to main line?

St_Paul
    Participant

loop to loop connection, works fine and allows quick changes of tippet/leader

Yakkaman
    Participant

Thx for that hopefully i can get out on Saturday weather permitting and try out my new 9wt

St_Paul
    Participant

honestly a 7 weight is heavy enough, tried my 9 weight and wasn’t near as much fun.

Yakkaman
    Participant

man i’m such a liar it is a 8wt yeeha let me loose

St_Paul
    Participant

what sort of line are ya using?

Yakkaman
    Participant

dry line with a 9lb tippet 9ft long

St_Paul
    Participant

It may be worth looking at an intermediate line too, this will also come in handy if you intend fishing lakes. don’t worry too much about tapered leaders, I use either about 6 feet of 6 or 8lb fluorcarbon or tie up a leader with blood knots using 3 feet each of 15, 10 and 8lb.

Miliwolf
    Participant

From my experience KY are not really line shy… I use around 9ft of 14lb or 18lb Kilwell QV Mono (Its great line, made by Sunline in Japan, I also use it for my Softplastic fishing. Henderson sells it in Blenheim but they are getting a bit low). I use heavy line for two reasons, firstly its normally in my car and secondarily it means I can easily apply pressure and keep the fish away from other anglers.

St_Paul
    Participant

I have found the larger KY have been quite fussy this year at the diversion. hence the fluoro. also fishing that weight leader you run the risk of snapping a rod tip should your drag stutter or you get a tip wrap. I also use the same weight fluoro on my spin set up and seem to have more success than guys using regular mono. I use 6lb fireline tied into a double with a spider hitch and then a 5 turn surgeons knot to connect the fluoro. Each to his own however.
    Did a quick count up and have landed just shy of 170 KY since october last year, kept around 25 fish, nearly all smoked and distributed to friends and family. Fly generally outfished spinner and largest KY weighed in at 3.75KG.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Thx for the advise i’m using 9lb flouro but like the idea of 3 tippet on the lakes and rivers i stick to my 6wt thought the 8wt might come in handy for those windier days when i need to punch the line.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I would be around 50 KY on the fly this summer… I quickly lost count.

All caught after Xmas, spent a lot of time down there September, October, and a little in November only to catch the odd mullet.

Do you know if they have fixed the gate down to the south side?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.