Salt water flyfishing

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Yakkaman
    Participant

Can’t wait to check out your new fly rod sounds awsome when are we heading out for a fish dude?

Miliwolf
    Participant

My 8wt Kilwell SAS arrived today, looks like a nice enough rod for the price I paid. Going to be a spare for when my Sage breaks or I take someone else down to the diversion for a fly fish.

Would have a few casts with it, might even prefer it over the Sage…

St_Paul
    Participant

did you get it from mikefish on trademe? I see he’s doing them for $499 with a free sharkskin line. Unfortunately if I spend anything on fishing right now my wife is liable to smother me in my sleep :shock:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, got it from Mikefish, He did one of his $1 reserve auctions and I only had to pay $280 for mine with the shark skin line. $499 is still a bit steep for a fly rod IMO. I also grabbed a tica reel from them at the same time and they threw in a 100m of fly reel backing for free :)

His is one of my favorite stores down in Christchurch.

St_Paul
    Participant

That was a bargain! I got a rio gold off of him last year for about $50 on a dollar reserve. what model sage have you got? I got a launch last year, glad I did as they are now almost $200 dearer. Good rod though.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I own two sage launch’s, got them for around $300 each. Now they seem to be almost $500.

Also own a 8ft 5/6wt Trent which I got off trademe for $100, it was made by a rod builder in Nelson. I prefer using it on the smaller waters then my 6wt launch.

Jackfish
    Participant

Unfortunaly the time I went to Mikes fishing I recieved terrable service from a lady there. She was talking to a friend on the phone. I thought 10 minutes was long enough waiting in front of her at the counter so I just left.

Perhaps just a one off but I’ll stick to Hamils and the fishermans loft, they have more stuff I want.

For my new rod I have decided to go with airflo ridgeline weight forwards and shooting heads. I decided to use a cheap Kilwell genisis to start with but will upgrade to a loop

Miliwolf
    Participant

The only reason I go there is to see Mike. I have not been to his new store, but the product range in his old one was not large. I had a preprogrammed path I use to take, I would park behind the river, then visit Mikes, before going into the city and around the 4-5 tramping stores, then down towards Hamills (via army surplus), across to smith city, then to the Macpac Clearance store. Back up via cash converters then back to the Car.

Then I would drive around 3/4 lost for a hour trying to find the Complete Angler :roll:

If I get onto Moorhouse ave I normally then visit fishermans loft and the place to next to it.

St_Paul
    Participant

for a cheap reel the genesis are quite good. I can also recommend the okuma slv if you want something with a fully sealed drag at a reasonable price

Miliwolf
    Participant

My main saltwater fly reel is a Lamson Velocity 3.5 hybrid , awesome reel but complete overkill for KY. When I purchased it I went one size bigger just in case I target kingfish one day… But seeing that I have never chased Kingies on normal gear I doubt I would ever get around to targeting them with the fly.

My newest reel is a Tica Veteran S208/9 , they sell for around $85 and seem well made. The main reason for a fly reel is to hold the line so little need to spend big money.

Also got a Kilwell Innovation which I use on my 6wt for trout..

Lastly I own a Orvis CFOV with 6 spare spools but it does not see any use. If I ever do lake fishing with my eight weight I might use this reel. I do not think it is fair to use a vintage reel in the salt.

St_Paul
    Participant

Crikey mili, I’m beginning to wonder if you have a serious case of fishing tackle acquisition syndrome :wink:

The price of sages has climbed heaps the 4 pce launches are now $490 I got mine for $290 last year so thats a huge increase

I have a 4 pce 7 weight Launch, a kilwell graphite packaway 4 pce which has recently had the butt section recently replaced with a custom made presentation butt in a 6 weight, a 9 weight customline and a 5 weight split cane (3pce with spare tip) owned by my grandfather which rarely sees action, its a sweet little rod with matching reel by millward, great for very small streams.

Would love a Lamson but can’t justify the expense for what, as you say, is essentially a line holder. My genesis works fine and hasn’t missed a beat and the SLV (with spare spool) has handled everything I’ve thrown at it.

Have to go to a wedding in Aus next year so might save a few pennies for some goodies :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Jackfish

Jackfish
    Participant

Yeah I think Mikes fishing shop pretty bad.

I have a Lamson velocity also for my six weight

I still undecided at the moment for a reel for my 10 weight. The Genesis is cheap but probably will deteriorate after a few bigger fish. And the loop costs a bit more but will probably last for a lot longer :?:

Probably be better with the loop.

St_Paul
    Participant

kahawai are about in marlborough again. Had a bit of fun earlier in the week

Yakkaman
    Participant

We saw kingies just outside Okiwi bay, head out of bay turn right mussel farm just out there.
    A better spot would be French pass rd, splits to Cissy bay/ Cigar bay.
    Head towards Cigar bay there is a beach area saw heaps of fish. 10-12m first 20m out even cuda’s were clearing the water after bait fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.