Salmon Season 2014 – 2015

Posted By Johnwest On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 180 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 181 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome video kbel, cheers for sharing, what kind of camera did you use? I got a gopro for xmas but haven’t tried it out yet.

nickthechippie
    Participant

Waimak quiet upriver for me this morning 5-9. Saw zilch
    :(

shark slayer
    Participant

..ive got 3 weeks off work but cant be f&#ked with salmon this year..waiting for the swell to come down to take the boat out..would have thought the fresh would have brung some better fishing up river on the mak..they come through there quick tho..went over the bridge this eve the water looked mint..the ashley aint looking good tho fuckin hell!still irrigating flat out in the hot sun evaporating all the water tho..fucking idiots!

burkefish
    Participant

about 16 fish taken at macintoshs over the weekend, mostly good size and excellent condition. think numbers will start to in crease from now on as usually do from about mid feb.

nickthechippie
    Participant

Ok, In the mac below the bridge to mouth needs regulation changed to 1 fish only :shock:

burkefish
    Participant

why?

nickthechippie
    Participant

Only my opinion. I don’t know enough about it yet. If all the good work you and the others do for the fishery burkefish shows that the 2 limit isn’t affecting anything then I suppose it is fine

croozer
    Participant

nickthechippie

nickthechippie
    Participant

Thanks croozer..great post..best of luck for being there on the right day when a substantial run occurs..

shark slayer
    Participant

the problem is people only think individually..you have hundreds of people fishing at mouths sometimes … a run of fish gets hit at the mouth at mackintoshs around the bridges in the lower reaches middle reaches and further up..there are large numbers taken accumalitively..just because you dont catch 2 everyday dosnt mean there arnt large numbers taken..last year i only fished a few weekends in november and feb and got 6 bag limits..i could have raped the fuck out of it and fished hard all season long and after work aswel but i limited myself and also put some back..the problem with the two bag limit is these old cunts that live down at the mouth everyday of the season and take whatever they can get..every mouth has em..the hurunui has around 15 full time retired guys that hit it everyday..from what i have seen they would average 30 a season each easy some of them more..thats 450 fish that dont get to spawn each year from one mouth from a small group of people alone..greedy old cunts..should it be dropped to one everywhere?its unfair on those who dont hammer the fishery but how do you limit these old guys that want to take as much as,possible?peed presurre pro ably not likely cos not enough people have the balls to say anything..the biggest problems are water degredation,commercial take..poaching..allowing fishing to far up the rivers and idiots taking gross coloured up tired fish..and groups of retirexd guys over harvesting..every mouth has them the rakaia and rangitata have even more..ra.gitata would be the worst..these same people treat bycatch like shit…rape the searuns and longline the fuck out of the eles to…thats my opinion… :shock:

nickthechippie
    Participant

Now thats a great post ss, excellent. I have never fished a mouth due to no room. I am gonna try to make room by taking down a tray of creamed lamingtons for greedy geriatrics, leave on my hilux bonnet and grab a space to throw my line out when the gannets come

Why not put a season limit on it, 8 or 10 big searun salmon per licence holder is more than enough for any household freezer for the year. The old meat hunters would be in and out reasonably quickly and free up some room for the weekend warriors. There would be a lot of win win scenarios with this system when you think about it.
    What do ya recon?

burkefish
    Participant

nz rivers have very limited spawning space, too many fish trying to spawn there does more damage than to little also our rivers don’t have enough food to feed large numbers of smolt as was proved in the 1990’s when 22,000 spawned in 94,95 season. 3 years later hardly any fish yet the large run of that season came from the lowest recorded run of 1992. last season about 2,000 salmon spawned on the mak, if half those were hen that is about 4,000,0000 eggs. the river wouldn’t be able to support a quarter that if they all survive. from 1960 until the mid 1990’s it is estimated that up to 80% of the salmon run came from glenariffe releases that also contributed to nearly losing the run for about 10years. however with the releases being done now and other work such as protecting and cleaning up spawning waters etc the numbers are getting up to what was around in the early 90’s. all the information on salmon runs here has been examined by experts in the states and they say what is happening here is giving a sustainable run of fish. currenty the stats show that between 40 and 55% of salmon are taken by anglers, a little higher in the mak, however spawning in the mak has for the last few seasons been better than the rakaia,

burkefish
    Participant

also have received a notice that F&G are looking for volunteers to finclip salmon smolt at montrose on the 21st Feb, there are 60,000 to do which is half the number that will be released this year. meet outside Yaldhurst hotel 8.00am for car pooling, fuel reimbursed for those using own vehicles. please let Colin know if available- 3523890 or 027 2080063. a bbq lunch will be supplied.

burkefish
    Participant

stats on salmon catches by anglers- 70% anglers catch 0 number of fish a season. 15% catch 1, 8% get 2 ,5 % get 3 and so on . anglers who catch 8 or more salmon is 2 % of those fishing for them. the problem seems to be they are always in the best place to catch them. anglers fishing the mouth usually have 1 chance at the fish then they are off up river. on the other hand those who fish up river often have the means to chase a run up and can have several chances after the same lot of fish by following them up or calculating how fast they travelling and cut them off. the question is who is putting the most pressure on the fishery. feed back i have of this season is of a number of up river anglers who are already approaching 20 in number of fish caught. don’t know of anyone near that number in the lower reaches yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members