Salmon Season 2014 – 2015

Posted By Johnwest On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 180 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
  • Author

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

That is a sentiment passed on by many this season. There was a good run of fish that was later than usual. Many who fished hard over the Christmas and New Year period didn’t touch a fish. The salmon this season have been mostly quite small. I suspect many younger salmon anglers have never seen a 30 lb plus salmon other than in a photograph. I’m sure such big fish will feature again in future bearing in mind the fishery has always cycled up and down.
    It was good to see the late run though! Sea conditions have been very warm this past summer and autumn which could have played a part in fish arriving later.

Here’s a salmon from the Waimakariri River mouth taken on 5 March 2015.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

troutfishernz
    Participant

yes there was late run but due to CSI regulations south canterbury anglers were unable to take advantage of that, I was trout fishing in the Opihi anzac weekend and seen quite a few salmon moving up river. I think in the future due to warming oceans and rivers we will see two salmon seasons with a run in november/december then nothing over the warmer summer months until late march/april

burkefish
    Participant

one of the reasons, if not the main one for small salmon this year is the quakes especially 2011 disrupted the main food supply (nz or stout sprats) this year have shown poor hatchery returns so far though fish are still arriving. there has been an absence of 4 year at sea fish. the good news is there have been good numbers of 2year at sea fish. niwa in the 90’s said that if you had at lest 16% 2 year at sea fish in a run the next year would usually be a good one. example in 1990 glenariffe received a run of 3,350 fish, one of their best however what concerned the scientists was that only 8% were 2 year at sea fish. the following 1991 the return to glenariffe was about 1500.

burkefish
    Participant

another point on the season . the early fish were not in the same condition as the later ones with the latter being much better. which seems like there was an improving food supply out there. also i have caught fish in april for the last 4seasons as follows–2011-1 2012-1,2013-2,2014-4, 2015-3.previous to that from 1990 to 2010 i had only 2 seasons of fish in april

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

It has certainly been an odd season this time around. You have made some good points about the age of returning fish. Lets hope next season will be a good one. I believe that CSI decided to close the season at the end of March as a conservation measure following the poor returns in the early 2000s. From memory I’m sure the Waitaki River had a late run usually fishing well in April. I know of several anglers who made an annual pilgrimage to the Waitaki River to fish for salmon during April. They would stay in the little huts at the Glenavy Camp Ground. Perhaps CSI should look again at returning the salmon season closing date to the end of April.

burkefish
    Participant

have seen and had reports of fresh salmon still arriving in the upper mak on their spawning run already a good number of redds around. the run has certainly been later than usual.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

That is good news. The more the merrier I imagine. Several blokes I know quite well who fish hard at Macintoshes Hole, on the Waimakariri River, reported they hadn’t had much luck up until late February – just the odd fish. Certainly the catch rates there were poor earlier in the season. Perhaps the sea being warmer than usual delayed the fish this time around?

burkefish
    Participant

personally I had 1 fish up to 25th March, the got 6 in the next 12 days. Other anglers got a lot more and those fishing up river did really well. Know of one person who caught 7 in aday releasing them. The hatcheries had low returns this year with F&G having only 400,000 eggs. That is half the number they had last year the nz salmon anglers will only have 80,000 ova for the Mak this year. Another interesting point ison the low flows this year the anglers who had a lot of success in the boats and from the shore above Macintoshs used lighter gear and fished the top half of the water column, I think because salt water was up the river a lot further than usual. further fish still returning, some have been around the 20lb mark according to the team doing ova planting at the weekend.

burkefish
    Participant

there is to be more ova planting this weekend as is a sort of a club day with anyone invited. We will be meeting at Yauldhurst pub carpark for carpooling at 8 am. there will be a bbq lunch provided, you need to have warm clothing and gumboots. for anyone interested we well be loading our large alevinator with 30,000 eggs.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Unfortunately I can’t make it to help with ova planting this weekend though I’d like to. I’m a bit far away at present. The season extending well into April is interesting. The days get a lot shorter following the end of daylight saving. Most anglers give up on salmon fishing at that stage!

burkefish
    Participant

have had a report of a 17lb salmon this month by stewarts gully boat club.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I suspect that in the past there would have been very few anglers who would have cast a zed spinner for a salmon at Stewarts Gully for a salmon during June!

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Lyndsey Bishop and Allan Burgess with salmon limit bags caught in the Waimakariri River, at Macintoshes, from “back in the day.”

Attachments:

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

He is another more recent salmon from the Waimakariri River. It was caught during a salmon fishing competition.

Attachments:

burkefish
    Participant

can report about 110,000 salmon smolt have been released this winter in north canterbury rivers. didn’t have as many ova this years about 46,000. but a bonus has been about 30,000 fry donated to f&g. some to go into the harper to boost salmon in coleridge as releasing smolt into the lake has not been working as those fish seek to head for the sea.been a good hatch rate for next years smolt releases.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members