Salmon Season 2014 – 2015

Posted By Johnwest On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 180 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 181 total)
  • Author

shark slayer
    Participant

if what you are saying is correct larry then why is there a need to do smolt releases?you are saying there are already to many smolt around from the wild stocks so why would you release more to boost numbers?why not kill some wild smolt to get the numbers down?why would you have supported a 1 salmon limit for the kaipoi if a high
    er take helps?what a load of absolute shit..statistics are a waste of time they are just a generalisation and are also “watered down”by large amounts of anglers who dont know how to fish..also you seem to speek of the whole salmon fishery as the waimak ..not everyone just fishes there..

Also you say the bad runs were caused by high numbers of smolt 3 years earlier not all salmon run at 3 years they can run as late as 5 and there are to many variables as to what could cause a bad run high commercial take at sea..lack of food/high predation at sea..bad river conditions/flooding at spawni.g time..why did f&g celebrate the high spawning numbers,last year if they think it will cause a stock collapse?has anyone seen high numbers of dead smolt in our rivers since last years spawning cos they are all starving?sorry mate but your talking shit trying to excuse greedy old ****s behaviour the fact is salmon fishing used to be way more productive than it is now..

Look back at history and what do you see?photos of old ****s lined up with large takes of salmon day in day out thats what started the decline..greed..same as every other fishery in the country everything has declined because of greed..these old ****s still think its 1960..times have changed and attitudes need to change with it..

I think a 10 bag per season would be a good idea ..heres how it could work..you get ten tags with your licence with your licence number on them..when you land a fish you have to put the tag in the fish..once you have used your ten thats it…get caught with a fish with no tag in it and your licence gets revoked and you get fined.. easy…

Remember guys dont go fishing in two seasons time its gonna be shit cos too many salmon spawned last year..but make sure you get to the Ashley in 3 years time its dried up and crap there this year…wont be many fish spawning there this year so in 3 years time be there..it will be pumping!

troutfishernz
    Participant

I think banning salmon fishing above the gorges on all the main rivers would be a good start.

with the opihi and orari rivers being stuffed at the moment there seems to be heaps of people at the the Rangitata lately but still hardly any salmon being caught, only 2-3 fish a day, the fresh last week didn’t seem to bring many fish in

burkefish
    Participant

what started the decline was the government closing gleariffe in the 1990’s coupled with a large spawning run, neglect of the spawning areas so that they were overgrown. and conditions at sea. whether you like it or not glenariffe was providing about 80% of the salmon being caught from 1960 till the mid 90’s. the release of salmon smolt in the lower reaches do not affect the ‘wild’ spawning run as they return to low land streams. the 1 fish in the kaiapoi is so that a new trial can be tested in releasing spawning fish into streams deemed suitable for salmon in the hope of establishing a greater and more variety spawning areas. there is also a trial following a successful method used by canada and the states of releasing what they call buttoned up fry, these are about 30 to 35mm long. these are released up river at a time when there are few salmon fry in the rivers. apparently it is cost effective and successful up there, they even release them using chopper monsoon buckets. work in the main spawning areas of fencing and clearing weeds is producing greater areas for spawning . one problem is that some ideal streams are so hard packed that the fish don’t use them. so releasing smolt in the lower reaches is just replicating what glenariffe was doing up until the mid 90’s, the difference now is that there are multiple points of release it also means that there are more salmon available to anglers. the bad run i am talking about was from the mid 1990’s to the mid 2000’s. what this did was generate a change of philosophy from letting the fishery look after itself to assisting and supplementing the run and it is succeding with the help of volunteers.

burkefish
    Participant

the problem with your 10 fish a season is who is going to police it? the government regulates how many rangers each area has and 90% of them are volunteers. to have full time ones would mean at least tripling your licence fee. which would mean a loss of revenue as the fishery would become exclusive and there would less money to spend on upkeep. the idea has been looked at. a thought those old fellows you like to abuse are probably the ones who have put years into protecting and fighting for the fishery we have now. some of them in their 80’s are still fronting up to the powers that be and fighting for the water in the rivers. another thought i’m involved in volunteering work for the whole of the north canterbury region can’t
    speak about other regions though i know of some of the work they are doing.

people by nature abide by the law, who polices the 2 a day rule now? shark slayers 10 tags with your licence idea is excellent, and the fear of getting caught with an untagged fish would be deterrent enough. the tags could have a chip in them that would have to match your licence number. you could request them by right with your licence rather than every licence holder in nz automatically getting them. yeah, I can see it now, the old honorary ranger wandering down the beach with his wee tag checker gizmo…. ideal. :wink:

burkefish
    Participant

was looked at in detail at the 1999 salmon forum and the logistics and costs involved ruled it out. will see if i can find the papers and give the exact reasons. one of the reasons was that it would hard to have volunteers policing 7 days a week up to 12-14 hours day. to counter that you would need to restrict the hours that you could fish.

shark slayer
    Participant

it would be no different to policing the two bag limit now..how often do you see a ranger down the,mouth?almost never..how is it policed then?by other fisherman of course..if i went down the mouth tommorrow and took two salmon and then kept fishing and tried to take another one im sure at least a couple of people would not hesitate to tell me to fuck off…the same principle would work with the ten tags..you have to put it on your fish strait after dispatching it..if you didnt someone would be like “hey wheres your tag dont you know the rules..upriver would be harder to police but its no different with the two bag limit and other regs..part of the regulations is just hoping people are decent enough to obey them and most people are…i think…im not saying all old guys are like that burkefish but alot of that generation have a rape and pillage mentality and take to many fish..the waimak is actually the exception because there are so many people fishing the mouth/lower reaches area that its to hard to.catch to many all the ability to move around to water you like the look of is gone..its more a pot luck/lolly scramble there cos theres just so many people fishing..although i did hear a chinese whisper about a n old guy at the mak off his boat last year taking 45 fish for the season..you may understand my veiw if you go tio the rangitata burkefish they start by thrashing the searuns early season then move onto longlining the eles for a few moknths then its salmon rape time everyday!.and i agree with you troutfisher i have always argued that point…its easy to police aswel cos you just wouldnt be allowed up there with salmon gear or to have a salmon in your possesion..alot of the fish up that far arnt worth keeping. anyway..

burkefish
    Participant

all the regulations are up for review in may this year . you can submit a proposal . it would need to pass in you local area be voted on by all areas and then accepted by the government to become universal. on the other hand the regions can tweet local regs to some degree. you could stand for the f&g council thats up for elction later on i think november. the rangers in north canterbury are very active in the lower reaches of the mak this season every day. they can now also issue an instant fine for littering. don’t know about other rivers ,haven’t fished much as i have injured my foot awhile ago, should out a lot more from now on. the rumour of the boat catch is just that.

nickthechippie
    Participant

When it blows from the south there will be fish at the mouth?

burkefish
    Participant

that won’t stop them, some of the best days i have had have been in howling southerlys.

shark slayer
    Participant

upriver/gut southerlies are good and often send the crowds home leaving the keen fisho to plug on..in the surf a 15_20 knot south/southwest turns the salmon on but only if the conditions were good before the blow..obviously it becomes unfishab when it blows for to long..but the southerly change in the surf is good then when it gets rough hit the gut/estuarine/upriver areas..the waimak is a bit more fishable than the others in big weather because of its layout..its very unique in that aspect..the mouth that is.. good,luck mate..i have 2 weeks of holliday left..trying to resist salmon fever but i keep thinking of epic lite tackle chinook battles.. :lol:

kbel
    Participant

The strong southerly wind can be a good time to be out.Here is a link to some video taken on a windy day at McIntosh’s earlier this month.The first salmon had just been sliced and diced along it’s upper back,probably by a seal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJaO1ixRdVE

Gofish270
    Participant

Whew. Made it to the 8% today. 12lb Rakaia.

croozer
    Participant

I am offering a cash reward for information, leading to a beating of the maggot that stole the locking hubs off my vehicle parked at the Rakaia on Wednesday afternoon, 12th Feb. Green Suzuki vitara. Don’t really understand why anyone would do that, but perhaps I can re-arrange their thought pattern for them so they don’t do it again.Thanks :evil:

shark slayer
    Participant

fuck dude that sux..another reason why i dont like fishing populated spots…i suggest asking for info on other forums aswel but give more detail as in make/colour of your car time it happened between and where you parked..southside huts?hope you find the scumbag and go chopper style on the c#@t!.. :grin:

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members