Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

well finally I have managed to land another salmon. 14lb,lost another 1. this season so far I have hooked 8 fish and managed to land 2 but I think I’m getting a handle on the new rod. have decided was built for braid and doesn’t work too well with stretchy nylon. the low stretch I have now is making a difference can feel a lot more from the spinner. the fish is 33ins long and 17 ins girth. , a bit under weight. the largest 33” fish I have caught weighed 21lb and the average for that length is 16.75lb.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Good stuff burkefish, you deserved one for fishing in this rubbish weather ! Were there many others taken today ? We gave up by about 10 but should probably have stayed until low tide.

yellowfin
    Participant

Dropped a fish yesterday which I was sure had a good set but spat the hook on the first big run. Using a #4 hook so have changed back to a VMC #1. Felt like a good fish with a soft take and then big run on decent drag. I was in good company though two others dropped two fish each and only 1 caught on our side not sure whether because the water is so clear they are just nipping the lure rather lure & hook. Saw a chap pick up his bag limit this morning so for him it was worth the inclement weather.
    Weighed a fish down at the Rakaia mouth Friday morning for a chap which I thought was about 15lb but weighed in at 11lb, fish are definitely skinny this year.

burkefish
    Participant

saw 1 taken in boat left about 1.30pm. salmon jaws our becoming very tugh as the time to spawn gets closer ,need to either use double or a 2/0 oval split ring gets the further in and in the soft part of the mouth. the fish I got today had all 3 hooks in that area and would have had to break the line to get away.

yellowfin
    Participant

burkefish

burkefish
    Participant

saw 12 fish taken at macintoshs to 5.15pm today , the boats had a good day. a couple of good size ones amongst them.

burkefish
    Participant

saw 10 fish taken on the north side of the mak mouth and I think 3 on the southside to 2pm today.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone know if its looking like theres going many salmon around tomorow for the waimakariri salmon fishing competition? And anyone know how many people have entered? :D :D :D :D

Thanks, Liam

burkefish
    Participant

yes saw a plenty of fish today including an 18lb one I weighed for a young fellow. don’t know how many are entered as a lot sign up on the day but seem like good numbers and the prize pool has been increased. saw 8 caught at macintoshs to 5.30pm.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished Opihi mouth this afternoon, Got this 12lber plus a Kahawai. Seen about 3 others caught in the 4 hours I was there.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice fish troutfisher…salmon season is done for me..wanted to stop ages ago but my mate kept tempting me haha..12 all up and four baf limits…pretty happy for my first season :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Im heading down to dunedin at easter… Anyone know if there would still be salmon around in the harbour at this time?

yellowfin
    Participant

in the harbour its starting to taper off now. so not likley to be many around.

I got my 4th on sunday, another slabby 7lber.

They are all very slabby down here for some reason.

nickthechippie
    Participant

shark slayer

burkefish
    Participant

two good days at macintoshs 32 fish all up until 2pm today should be some more this afternoon. netted 10 for other people and finally got one myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.