Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 406 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 407 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

kbel

shark slayer
    Participant

I used the owner eagle claws for a while..nice and sharp but I don’t like the way they hook up..they fall out to easy under slack lins which is easy to get briefly when you have a fish in the dump…I find the standard hooks you get on ticers hook up and stay hooked better..the only fish I hooked up properly on and lost this season was on an owner when it got half a second of slack in the dump…me and a mate also had a few bend slightly on kahawai but were alot harder on the kahawai cos who cares if you lose one?you can’t be to hard on salmon with them or they will straiten..and I have found alot of the time they only hook up with one shank

burkefish
    Participant

have been using eagle claw 375 freshwater size1 in rivers and 1/0 in surf for 23years have had 1 fail and found it hadn’t been tempered. one a 20lb fish broke the weld of 1 and pulled one side out to 90deg but it never let go. have that hook as a ‘trophy’ on my fishing room wall. Saw 18 fish caught at macintoshs today, weight getting better know 3-18lb fish caught last 2 days. on a personal note have netted 13 fish for people last 3 days and still bloody can’t get one myself, been about a month now. probably the new rods fault- not ‘broken’ yet.

bignhairy
    Participant

First Visit to Macintosh for couple hours after high tide. Saw 4 caught and landed a 12lber nice fish. Took soft but fought well, well hooked. Thanks to gent who netted for me.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone know how the kaiapoi river has been fishing?

burkefish
    Participant

kaiapoi fishing well, small spinners and rapalas.

kbel
    Participant

The Kaiapoi might be a bit murky for a while as the Ecan crew is clearing out the upper Silverstream using an NCK dragline.It’s usually done about this time of the year to clear out all the overgrowth of weeds and water cress etc.

smoked salmon
    Participant

does anyone know how the point fished today plese?

burkefish
    Participant

quiet day 2 fish up to 2pm, don’t know since then.

nickthechippie
    Participant

I havnt been on waimak since Tuesday avo/night(fished upriver a bit for 4 hrs saw nothing), but how bad was the lower river today from the silver ferns farms discharge? :evil: Could it affect running salmon? Many fish around today?

burkefish
    Participant

didn’t notice a thing, only knew about it when ecan came along. obviously nowhere as bad as it was in the 90’s

yellowfin
    Participant

I heard it was sewerage from Bromley?

yellowfin
    Participant

11 fish at mackintoshs this am of which one was mine 6 lb,

burkefish
    Participant

pollution is from works about as much that would fill a Olympic pool much less than they were putting down there everyday 18months ago and it has been treated. the problem is a pumping station breakdown and it all cant be sent to Bromley until pump is fixed.

burkefish
    Participant

spent today along with about 25 other mainly lower waimak people finclipping 85000 salmonsmolt over at Montrose. fish to be released in Rakaia and southbranch waimak. still a lot more to be done if anyone interested tomorrow. meet yauldhurst pub 8.00am.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 407 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members