Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

that’s the way it goes have had some years where inspite of fishing solidly for 3months or so haven’t landed a fish until march. I have this thing that the first fish of the season is always the hardest to catch.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished just above the bridges this am saw one landed one . 2nd day fishing this year lets hope this rest of the season goes the same way!! :grin: i think not, the water colour is looking great.

burkefish
    Participant

is it fin clipped ? if so contact f&g and let them know. by the way good fish, well done.

yellowfin
    Participant

well done ecurb, nice short fat fish

troutfishernz
    Participant

Anyone heard of much caught from the Opihi?

sorearm
    Participant

Just got back from gorge.was very dirty compared to lower reaches

burkefish
    Participant

heres a thought for those who think the salmon are small so far. maybe the event of 22/11 and after have had an affect on the recruitment of smolt that year and therefore there could be a lack of 3 year old fish this year. guess we won’t know till the end of the season. the good thing if that is the case is that salmon have a quick recovery with only having a 3 year cycle and historically a poor run often produces a large run 3 years later.

shark slayer
    Participant

coild be possible..not sure on earthquake theories myself..the commercial cray guys up cape campbell way have been struggling since the seddon quake. .having to lease part of there quota..overfishing is my veiw tho havnt found the earthquakes to have effected anything..had a monstet blue cod catch on the day the japan psunami hit…have heard pepple blaming the poor fishing at bp on earthquakes but once again its because of fishing pressure…there have been good salmon taken i know of a 27lber last week have been sworn to secrecy on the location tho…size variation is supposed to be a sign of a healthy fishery..dont know about that either…lost a salmon in the surf the other day the first of the season is always my hardest have had 5 from kaikoura but i dont count them as they arnt really running salmon..anyone know how the rakaia is going?

burkefish
    Participant

one possibility is that eggs get destroyed with the movement of stones etc in quakes. will be interesting to see how the season shapes out, not a situation that’s happened before though might have in Alaska. thought about this when the alarm went at 5am and was deciding between fishing and sleep. fishing won though when looking a barely fishable river was thinking I made the wrong decision.

burkefish
    Participant

before the last fresh was doing ok, know of limit bags taken.

shark slayer
    Participant

thanks burkefish…really need to get out somewhere..got wednsday thursday off but lets see what the rivers are like..all over the place at the moment

yellowfin
    Participant

I was out fishing in the mak today and had no luck but i was told by another angler that a large salmon was cought at mcIntosh’s in the morning and a 7lb salmon was caught upriver.

yellowfin
    Participant

Rangitata still a mess dont bother for a day or two

burkefish
    Participant

fished the point this morning. saw 1 fish caught in a boat and salmon sighted along the edge. they are getting closer. water colour good should be alright in the morning, not much rain up yet won’t be out again till Saturday as working next 2 nights.

burkefish
    Participant

a mate who fished macintoshs all day reported 5 fish caught including a double on a boat an others seen. a pity the river will be down tomorrow and probably out for a few days, though the rainfall currently is not as heavy as predicted.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.