Braided lines for surfcasting

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

St_paul, how is the powerpro braided microfilament line holding up?

Have you had any problems with wind knots?

Seriously tempted to give it a try, and the Powerpro Micro Filament line seems to be the best option.

St_Paul
    Participant

works great in calmer water have had some issues with abrasion resistance in real heavy seas , but not really much more than mono, haven’t had much of a problem with wind knots a few to start but learnt to put a little bit less line on the spool than normal and this seems to have sorted it.
    http://www.discountfishingsupplies.co.nz or decoro are the 2 best places to get powerpro.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thanks for the information.

Read a ‘review’ online about it a few days back and wanted to know more about it (did not trust the review). Now I plan to give it a try, main problem is I recently spooled my main reel with new co-polymer line.

But would probably buy a new long cast reel for the braid. I would load braid (probably 30lb ith mono backing) onto one of the spools. Should be good for calm days and snapper fishing in the sounds. I do not want to go over 30lb because I do not want to risk overloading my rod. Although it does have a 5yr Kilwell idiot proof warranty.

St_Paul
    Participant

I have mine backed with 30lb mono so 1 x 500yd spool is enough to do 2 reels.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah that was the review. It had no publish date so was impossible to tell how old it was.

I wonder how it would handle on a spinning reel, because fireline does not last for long in the surf and often I am tempted to use my spinning set-up for surf fishing.

St_Paul
    Participant

I have it on an Okuma axeon and a Tica sceptre (both spinning/fixed spool) reels. Have tried it on freespools but prefer mono as a birdsnest on braid cuts real deep into the spool.

I also use fireline and rapala titanium in 6lb for trout/kahawai spinning

yellowfin
    Participant

im looking at getting a okuma eclipz Ec-90 and thinking of spooling it with a backing of a couple of 150ish of 20lb mono and then the rest with 50lb braid not sure of brand yet just what in my price range really looks at cortland from the compllete angler

yellowfin
    Participant

or powerpro for 85 bucks

Miliwolf
    Participant

Power pro seems to have a good reputation for surfcasting.

I might fill one of the spare spool of my Daiwa Emcast with 20lb powerpro braid. Would mainly use it for Snapper fishing because I suspect the abrasion of the east-coast beaches would damage braid quite quickly.

Although tempted to fill it with Daiwa Saltiga braided line. But that stuff is $60 for 200 yards.

St_Paul
    Participant

Mono is still best for snapper fishing especially straylining they seem to detedct the hook quicker with braid and invariably spit the bait before you can hook up, Have been using powerpro for about a year and have yet to lose a fish due to mainline failure, have tried others but powerpro seems to perform best in the surf. Is fine on east coast beaches on relatively calm days, for rough days still use mono.
    The eclipz can be spooled with braid and I used to run one for surf casting before I got my Axeon.
    Always remember when using braid to use a thumb caster or some other form of finger protection, I use a leather finger stall.(buy an old leather jacket/skirt and find someone with a sewing machine, or buy one from a chemist)

The major advantage is thin diameter which will give you better distance and negate the use of a shock leader if

Miliwolf
    Participant

Do you use a trace or just tie the hook straight to the braid?

I believe some fish, especially snapper could be line shy.

St_Paul
    Participant

always use fluorocarbon trace

yellowfin
    Participant

what brand of flurocarbon

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just use a good quality clear Nylon or Co Polymer. They can be significantly cheaper. The east coat fish would not be able to tell the difference in the murky waters where they live. There is even debate on whether trout (a extremely wary fish) living in crystal clear spring creeks notice the difference between the two.

Flouro also has worst knot strength. The only advantage might be slightly better abrasion resistant.

I am not a big fan of Black Magic products but their leader material is common and good. Sufix is always good, I believe they make the lines for many other brands. Heaps of good options out there.

http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/Leaders.html

edit:

ginga, if you have two spools. Put all of the braid onto one of the spools first then tie on the mono backing and wind it on until the spool is full. Then transfer the line from the full spool onto the spare second one. That way all of the nylon would be on the bottom and the braid would be on the top.

St_Paul
    Participant

Hi Ginga

I use berkley vanish. Knot strength with fluorocarbon is fine provided you are very careful with your knots and always lubricate them before tightening up.

for pure surfcasting I usually tie a genie link clip direct to the braid and attach all my traces via this and a swivel

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.