Braided lines for surfcasting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has tried braid/superlines in the surf. have been having a play with fireline but tends to get furry a little too quickly for my liking. Am going to try powerpro as apparently it has more abrasion resistance

yellowfin
    Participant

I was planning on loading one of my reels up with braid a wile ago but i didnt bother because of the price and because i heard it frays easy in rough conditions but it is supposed to be ok for calm sandy beaches and boat fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Its great for boat fishing especially deep work due to virtually no stretch, have been using it for kahawai spinning and never lost a fish on it

yellowfin
    Participant

I prefer mono beacause of the stretch it has unlike braid. With braid the rod does all the work and you feel all the shakes. Braid does make it easier for bite setection though.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have been trialling powerpro braided microfilament line for a couple of weeks, am loving the results, using 50lb which has the same diameter as twelve lb mono. Getting great distance and fantastic bite detection. Abrasion resistance is very good too. thouroughly recommend it to anyone looking at trying super braids.

yellowfin
    Participant

The results are sounding good. I might have to try it out myself. I was thinking of going for a heavier braid with the same diameter as 20lb or 25lb mono to give it a bit more strenth. But theres always the problem of the rod snapping if the drag is to tight like when a boat got caught on my line yesterday i has had the drag up tight and if i had heavier line on the rod might had snapped.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have had that happen at lytellton before, and once almost lost a rod and reel cos a large seven giller do a great job pulling it all from the holder, always set the drag!:P:D
    I think that the 12lb mono diameter is great for a 50lb breaking strain, thats like 6kilo thin which is perfect for getting extra distance and not having to use a shock leader.

yellowfin
    Participant

What

yellowfin
    Participant

depends on pd weight and spool size, some guys is selling it on trademe, or visit http://www.decoro.co.nz

I 500 yds of 50lb for $106. i have backed my spools with 25lb mono. and managed to spool up 2 surf reels and a smaller salmon reel. about 200yds on each surf spool and 100 on the salmon spool

yellowfin
    Participant
    Hi,

I take it you are talking about gel-spun polyethylene, better known as Superbraid. This stuff has almost no stretch and is therefore excellent to use for deepwater bottom fishing and jigging.
    yellowfin
    Participant

have a look at http://www.powerpro.com for more info on this new line, it is made from dyneema and will cast off freespool and fixed spool reels.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi there Yellow Fin I use 50lb braid as a shock leader only absolutley brilliant,no trouble tying the stuff either a lot of the comments about braid are rubbish.People should try it before they knock it, I wouldn’t use anything else for a shock leader.Cheers.

yellowfin
    Participant

I use a Tica GG100 spooled with 300yd’s of 35lb braid that according to the manufacturer was designed especially for surf fishing.Im trying to find the box cos I cant remember who the manufacturer is :?

yellowfin
    Participant

Yup thats what I’m finding at the moment, no shock leader required, the use of the shock leader is more to stop the sinker snapping off and heading for the coast of chile ;-)

as for finger

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Sevengill The braid that I use is Cortland 50lb b/s. Price wise I dont think I could afford to spool up with braid.300 yards a lot of braid I think the most that would be pulled off your reel by a decent fish would be in the vacinity of maybe 160-170 yards the rest wouldn’t get used.

I have never busted off with the braid but then I’m not a heavy caster,using 150gm[5 1/4oz]sinker I cast about 140 metres my main line

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.