Braided lines for surfcasting

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi, I think the main reason I spooled up with so much was because 35lb braid bein near like cotton :shock:,

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi sevengill I use a penn powerstic 14’00 got it off trade-me $100.00 plus jarvis walker reel and a box full of tackle.Remember to look around before you buy. Cheers.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve got a powerplay 14’6 3 pce, not the slimline model but still a damn good rod.

yellowfin
    Participant

gday fellas.Yip distance is what im goin for hence why im keen on a powerplay.Theyve sorta been out of my price range but since ive been good and

yellowfin
    Participant

St_Paul, do you make the clip down pulley rigs yourself?

yellowfin
    Participant

Yup, I use 80lb backbone with a genie link clip on one end, a bead then a swivel then another bead (hard beads, not the rubber kind) and finally an Imp 2 bait clip, I usually use a trace attached to this of arond 60 lb, this allows you to change baits easily (tie these with a swivel to connect to the link clip) and also allows you to quick change to a floated trace if the crabs are giving ya grief.
    This stuff is all available via

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi St.Paul,

yellowfin
    Participant

hi there guys

Kiwi fishing bangkok here, and yes I am in Bangkok!

ok this braid bit, I have over the last few months used 50 lb powerpro braid on a pen powerstick with a Shimano Baitrunner 4500, now we have to throw some heavy baits here using a rice meal ball about the size of a softball, that is some weight!

that is also hard on the fingers! so I use three finger tips to hold the braid on the grip, this is better than the finger hook style as that will take slices off the fingers!!

ok now shock leader, the use of shock leader is a must, it is not just to do with the cast but also the strike, if you have a soft action rod then you wont have much problem, but with a hard action rod you can snap 50lb braid with a hard strike.
    this stuff is great if used properly all the lure boys use it and it is amazing the distance that can be cast

if you invest in some “shock leader” then you will find the strech about 10 x more than standard mono, it is also great to stop the abrasion from fish and rocks ect.

the reason for shock leader is just that, the shock, this stuff cant handle the shock of being loaded fast, due to 0% streach it is a 100% loading, I have watched people snap line after line because of no shock leader, if you run about 1.2 meters it will be enough, but get some “shock leader” not just standard mono..

now if you need to grab a hold of braid then be VERY CAREFULL I just about cut 2 fingers off on a 100kg + fish, the only way to handle it under load is to grab a stick and wrap the line around the stick and pull the stick, a good 5 kg fish can cut you to the bone!!!

if you need to break the line because of a snag then load the line and then pull fast and hard, shock the stuff and it will break.

as for casting you wont beat the stuff, but I would say that you should look at spooling up with 80 lb, I know it sounds over the top but there are good

yellowfin
    Participant

I have used 14 lb Fire Line for surfcasting

St_Paul
    Participant

Hey yellowfin,
    You can also get a 1500 yd spool if you wanted to go braid all the way.
    I got the 500yd spool and

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey St_Paul,

Thanks for that. No shock leader sounds interesting. Have had a lot of experience with braid but almost all

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hi,

Just thought id add my 2 cents :D

For surfcasting im currently using a tica gg100 spooled with 35lb cortland braid backed with 20lb mono and I use 60lb Penn mono for a shockleader roughly 1 1/2 times the length of my rod (16′) and I have used this line for over a year now and considering all the beaches I fish are shingle and fairly rough at times

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Sevengillz,

Thanks – That all makes sense!

St_Paul
    Participant

Theres also a knot called the yucatan

St_Paul
    Participant

Fished at dorie on thursday, reverted to 60lb mono shockleader as the undertow was seriously pounding the braid.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.