Whats been happening in marlborough??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf/sevengillz this ones for you :grin:

Disconnected and I are making the most of the extra day off for us chch peeps this weekend and heading up the sounds for a fish..

What are the latest reports from up those ways??

A contact up there says they have been getting a few snapper showing up down kenepuru/mahau area…

Heard of any other catches??

Any Kingis showed up yet??

We’re thinking of maybe heading to okiwi bay/french pass or maybe even out titirangi bay.

If the snapper are turning up surely the kings cant be too far away??

Any local spots you’d like to share etc feel free :grin: :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Heard of Several [b:33zlgzfy]BIG[/b:33zlgzfy] Snapper being caught in the shallows in the Kenepuru. For spots try a quick search, it has been discussed several times before and I am not experienced enough at Snapper fishing to pick one over another.

Personally I would go to either French pass or Kenepuru. According to my fish finder the QC is still relatively cold (around 14). The warmest water (just below 17) is in Port Underwood, Cloudy and Clifford Bay. The outer sounds around to the Mouth of the Pelerous is also warm. Tasman bay and the western side of the sounds is just below 16.

Port Underwood would be a gamblers choice.

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome.. Thanks.

Yeah we have heard of a couple of big snapper being caught. close to the 20lb mark.
    So that has got our hopes up :D😀

Just gotta catch one now :lol:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Take a step into the unknown and try out Port Underwood, the water is almost 17 degrees and there are nice looking ‘Snapper’ beaches up in the head of the Bay. Then tell us all how it fishes :wink:

One day I would make the effort and fish the Port, one day.

yellowfin
    Participant

vip_yo

yellowfin
    Participant

Off the rocks this time.

Sevengillz
    Participant

a dude from the local hunting and fishing shop showed me a pic of a big snap taken in the kenepuru over the last couple of weeks`so they must be in there now.Havnt heard much on the kingi front but yeah if you after snapper then cruise up the kenepuru or french pass way if you keen on the drive.Theres plenty of rocky points up the kenepuru you just got to keep your eyes peeled for the tracks.Id be looking for deepish water around the rocks as opposed to the shallows.They are prob there but I normally leave the shallow hunting till around xmas but you never know.It seems to be changing all the time with alot of snapper wintering over apparently.
    Night time high tides my fav.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Check out these Snappers which were recently caught in the sounds

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=33186&PN=4

yellowfin
    Participant

Wow they’re some nice snapper. I’d be keen to get onto something like that.

Just got to find the right spot now. Would like to get in the water with the speargun too.

Only 2 days to wait!!! :evil: :lol:

Miliwolf
    Participant

For spearfishing, head for french pass (Stay away from the pass itself, it is safe to swim around the small beach to the west but not any closer) or port underwood (Visbility likely to be crap).

I have dived several times heading west of the pass and never seen anything worth shoting. There was a resident red moki for a while. Might be best to swim around to the cliffs on the eastern side of the township.

If you own a boat Okiwi bay is also worth while, but there is little shorebased around there.

yellowfin
    Participant

Seeing there’s some Blenheim locals around the place, where is likely to be the most sheltered spot around the Sounds over the weekend (me and some mates going camping for show weekend, and looks like Marlborough is gonna be the sunniest spot). Metservice reckons norwesters, just wondering of they are the same sort of rampant crap you get in chch. Thought Port Underwood way might be a bit more sheltered than the sounds themselves, or have I got it completely wrong?

Miliwolf
    Participant

The Marlborough nor-westers are similar but more powerful then the ones I experienced while living in Christchurch.

Port Underwood can be sheltered during nor-westers, Typically the western side of the Queen Charlotte and Pelorus sound should also be fairly calm. Anything next to Tasman bay is likely to be exposed.

Earlier this year I paddled across the QC during a strong nor-wester. Going into the bay on the far side I was being blown backwards during the gusts (It got funnelled down the bay) but once on shore it was nearly calm because the wind was blowing across our heads. But it was gale force 20m from the beach…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.