The best fish for the table

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Out of all the fish that you catch regularly in your locale, which

yellowfin
    Participant

I find kahawai is the best because they are easy to catch and are nice to eat.

yellowfin
    Participant

For me:

[list=1:1rcx4u01]
    [*:1rcx4u01]fresh caught paua sliced thinly and fried for the shortest amount of time with onions and garlic – nothing better.[/*:1rcx4u01]
    [*:1rcx4u01]smoked trout.[/*:1rcx4u01]
    [*:1rcx4u01]large yellow eyed mullet fried whole (having previously been dusted with a mixture of flour salt and pepper.[/*:1rcx4u01][/list:o:1rcx4u01]

yellowfin
    Participant

I once caught a huge Yellow Eyed Mullet over 2kg

yellowfin
    Participant

I agree with Zac, kahawai is a highly under rated table fish!. I prefer mine smoked with either manuka or pohutakawa. or in a nice marinated fish salad mmmm…good!

yellowfin
    Participant

I agree Smoked is the best way to cook kahawai. But i have also just fried it and it turned out ok.

yellowfin
    Participant

I like smoked kahawai too, in fact any fish smoked seems to be alright.

You are right, Kahawai is an under rated table fish, and I’m not too sure why. Maybe it’s because they are common and easy to catch compared to trout for example. Over the Christmas break I took my kids to the Ashburton river mouth for a walk. I passed a fellow who was on his way back to his hut and I asked him if he had any luck. His reply was no trout, but a few people were catching kahawai. But not for him – “not worth catching” were his exact words!

A bit deluded if you ask me!

yellowfin
    Participant

smoked yellow eyed mullt or smoked blue or red cod also flounder is good frie up in a pan as well

yellowfin
    Participant

i would also have to include fresh blue moki in there now as well as butterfish

Miliwolf
    Participant

Butterfish
    Blue Cod
    tarakihi

In saying that there is several fish which are worthy of a spot, for example Gurnard, Maori Cheif, Sea perch…. I find it difficult to tell them apart.

yellowfin
    Participant

my mum

Miliwolf
    Participant

You might of been eating a large tara and not a moki.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Smoked salmon/trout though salmon in my view is slight better, but less often caught, though by the sound of it almost everything tastes good smoked.
    Crumbed, fried blue cod

Trumpy
    Participant

I’d have to go with Cod.
    Red Cod Yes, but the money is Deep Sea Blue Cod caught off of a boat with a hand-line.
    The Blue Cod has nice, meaty fillets and they cook nice and quick.

Just as an aside, did you know that, if you go to a F&C shop these days, unless you specifically ask for Cod or Gurnard or whatever, you will get Elephant fish, it is the default fish (at least down here in Canterbury).
    I’m not complaining, Ellies fry up real nice. 8)

fishforpot
    Participant

Kahawai is my favourite too ……

We had a few young ones for tea last night , crumbed and fried in garlic butter …..you know the size i mean , still have a few yellow spots on them …..

Large kahawai are just as nice , cooked different tho …….
    Try this recipe ……take white meat from 1 large ky ….dice into smaller than sugar cube chunks …..
    3 large spuds , grate them after peeling of course lol
    1 small onion , diced into small pieces

Make a batter , 3 eggs , baking powder and milk , to a whitebait batter consistancy …….throw in some pepper and mixed herbs ….

Stir everything together ……..

Take an electric frypan , 2-3 tubs of lard/dripping …on full

Scoop out a chunk of the mix , flatten it a little into the pan ..ya should get at least 7-8 per pan at a time ……
    Flip occassionally , until light brown both sides …..

Remove from pan / drain and place on handytowels to remove excess lard ….press handytowels on top as well …….

Salt them lightly , some tom sauce ……and you wont stop eating till you run out …….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.