Squid

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

The old squid huh…. well anyone had any sucess catching them? on a rod? caught them with Zac before in a cast net but just thought it could be something diffrent

yellowfin
    Participant

Pretty popular in the north island in some spots. Usually off wharfs or somewhere with lights at night time. Light rods with braid and squid jigs under floats. Over summer I think people get them around picton and marlborough and they are around at kaikoura. The ones I’ve seen in big schools at kaikoura off the wharf are the smaller ones but have seen a few quite big ones of a different species swimming around by themselves. Tried a squid jig off the wharf once at kaikoura with no success and not really much point if you can just cast net them and get a bucket full for bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea very true zac, hope theres alot around this summer again like a while ago when you and i were there at kaikoura.

rdeejay
    Participant

To eat or for bait? lol nah j/k cracks me up though i like eating squid and go to some of these asian places etc and think hmm bait lol, but ah well if it’s fresh and you go fishing and you get the munchies you can always eat your bait lol, which i have done in the past using mussels etc…

yellowfin
    Participant

catching them for bait mate lol i think the same when people order prawns and crays etc i think awww man that coulda been bait!, i know a few others who have eaten their bait when its very quiet (cooked prawns)

rdeejay
    Participant

heck if you are real hori like my own brother catch a kahawai, think hmm lunch…sashimi! on the spot

PierMaster
    Participant

kahawai sashimi is dam good so is yellow eyed mullet mmm bit of chilli sauce, yum yum!

yellowfin
    Participant

yea thats common not hori lol. dont ee me doing it though may try it one day, as pie master said sweet chilli sauce maybe some soy sauce

PierMaster
    Participant

pie master lol

yellowfin
    Participant

lol yes andrew reading your wee thing you must always remember to blow on the pie, Anyways Back to the main topic Squid, have bought some squid lures so may give it a go this summer bought a few different colours so might try it under a float and the cast jerk retrieve etc. only wanna get them for something different and perhaps bait

yellowfin
    Participant

I watched a guy catching them off karaka point around from Picton. In the day too. He spotted from up above and then ran down and cast to them. Caught about 6 when I was there. He kept some for eating and some for bait. Said he sometimes livebaits them for kingies.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I thrown the occasional squid jig into the water, but no idea what to do with the retrieve. Maybe one day :) Squid (cooked) are tasty little things, maybe with a little seasoning for flavor.

rdeejay
    Participant

hmm bugger the bait i’m hungry for squid now lol

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.