Moki Fishing in Port Underwood.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Has anyone here tried targeting Moki in Port Underwood? It is nice and close to Blenheim and I can get there in 20mins+ instead of the 2 hour-ish for Kaikouria.

I have spearfished there quite a few times and Moki seem to be very common.

Tempted to head out there next time the tides, moon and weather is looking good. Maybe even tonight :)

Sevengillz
    Participant

I havnt really tried myself but a mate of mine had a good run of them off the rocks in ocean bay.I ended up with one of the good ones for tea.
    Im not 100% sure where the spot was excactly but he said off the rocks on the northern side of the bay at low through incoming tide.It wasnt deep at all and he could see small shoals of about half a dozen fish at a time coming around the rocks and seemed to be sweeping the bottom as they moved along.He just cast the bait out infront of them and got a few but he didnt realise they were moki until he pulled the first one out.Small crabs were doing the damage.
    This was goin back a couple of years so prob just a matter of being there at the right time.
    I went down the day after and got nothing hence why I dont really fish them parts.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, that point is a popular spearing and fishing spot. Been there fishing a couple of times and spearfishing 5-6 times. It is possible to walk there at high tide but most of the fishing platform is underwater. There are quite a few crays and paua among the weed and rocks.

A bit to exposed for night fishing I feel.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.