land based game fishing canterbury

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    rayhunter
    Participant

hey anyone keen to get a group to go lbf ie for kingfish and sharks around canterbury

fishforpot
    Participant

I spent several hours at black rock today with 3 lives on the bottom and another on the surface ….nadda ……was most let down …..

If your keen sometime , I can get you access to the tip of Goat Point …ropes needed to climb the last 20 feet to the waters edge , but the current thru the area is incredible …..
    I doubt youd find a better spot for it …..I believe kingies love that sorta area …
    Check it on the map and you will see what I mean ….a few huge rocks over the broken reef come to the surface withen casting distance of the point , and the current forced thru the gap is incredible

10 years ago I would have been keener than keen to chase whatever where ever ….not so much energy these days

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d be keen although haven’t explored around banks peninsula yet but i’m sure there’s a few places that would produce kingfish, just not a fan of walking long distances with lots of gear. Lots of those places off the rocks are bad for snags so hard to fish a bait on the bottom and to fish baits under a balloon or float the wind needs to be right. Lots of places around lyttelton that you can go for short-tail rays that could be over 200kg and the eagle rays could be around there over the next few months. Wouldn’t surprise me if some bigger species of sharks hang around lyttelton waters maybe even kingfish in some areas.

Got most the reels I use spooled with 500 meters of 50lb braid with my 30lb mainline on top and 80 – 100lb shockleaders and plenty of wire traces.

mulletman
    Participant

were abouts do you catch your rays in lyttelton zac :?: would be keen on trying to get 1

rayhunter
    Participant

in by the fishing boats theres some big ones there

rayhunter
    Participant

hey zac if you keen for a go at some kingfish let me know i hav got lbg gear

rayhunter
    Participant

anyone keen on a fish at black rock over the weekend let me know

yellowfin
    Participant

Weather isn’t looking to good all week, don’t really fancy fishing in the rain with easterly winds as well. Long range forecast looks mostly fine next week till Saturday so maybe could do something then.

HIPP
    Participant

I have caught a big ray/skate off govoners bay jetty,broke my reel the first time and got busted off,went back the next time with better gear, caught it on crab. got it to the jettu but the gaff pulled through as my mate was trying to haul it on to the lower part of the jetty, it was big enough to cover most of an avg dineing room table.
    I have herd of Kingfish in the outer harbour near rafts of kelp. Cheers, Hipp

elmo22
    Participant

zac.. were do you get your long range weather till next saturday from

yellowfin
    Participant
    rayhunter
    Participant

yes there are some very big rays and skate in lyttelton im allways keen to give them a go they put up a long fight if any one wants to come let me know

mulletman
    Participant

rayhunter, do you know where a good spot for them is???

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d be keen for a trip to the lytelton breakwater or anywhere else around there that’s suitable for fishing and landing anything we catch. Might be able to get a few other people to come along as well.

rayhunter
    Participant

yes i do they very big fish ,hey zac send me a message and we can work something out about going and havin a go at the big ones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.