land based game fishing canterbury

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

rayhunter

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve only ever hooked a ray once – was in the Sounds and I thought I’d caught the InterIslander. Personally, I share ‘rockys’ opinion on targeting rays – they’re not sport because you can just sit on hing smelly with a hook in it, get (admittedly a big) thrill as your reel screams – then lose a lot of line and tackle and leave a fish to swim around with it.

That’s why if you’re targeting them you use heavy gear so you can land and release them…

yellowfin
    Participant

One more month!!! I’ve been on Home D for six months so it was too much like torture to even think about fishing.

I have enough berley to feed half of India and the water should be warm enough soon. I’m going to go night fishing for a big seven gill shark. I reckon any one of these shingle beaches around Timaru harbour will do. I’ll let it go of course after a few photos. Hoping to break my previous record of a 100 pound seven gill.

Counting down the days….

Rocky

troutfishernz
    Participant

If your after Sharks Rocky Head down to St andrews Opposite the golf club. Plenty of sharks there,Ive only been there twice and cought Sevengillers both times and I wasnt even targeting them.

Havent really heard of much cought in the harbour, but The beach south of the breakwater Looks good though Aparently it drops away real quick.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanx troutfishernz,

Well I don’t have much choice because it’s too far south to get kingfish. It’s not really for me. I’ve caught plenty of sharks. Just want to hook my partner’s daughter up to something really big so she gets keen on fishing. She’s only caught little stuff before.

Might do a trip up to Black rock too. I’ve heard kingis have been seen there in summer. Would that be the best spot do you think? Is it much of a hike with a 20 litre bucket of berley?

rocky

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

theres heaps of kingi places around the bays on the penninsula some rocky outcrops are hard to get at but great for livey balooning..lotta walking/climbing just gotta go out there and find a great spot..and be there at the right time :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I berleyed up Timaru Port area yesterday. First I did four hours on the shingle beach next to the rocks (behind the port) with three people and six rods and nobody got a single bite. Guy next to us caught a Moki but we weren’t using shellfish for bait. Saw a huge seal. Then went and berleyed up the point behind the Yacht Club at the corner of Caroline Bay. Conditions were perfect with really clear water and mullet everywhere. Had a huge berley slick right across Caroline Bay. One of us caught a medium size lemon shark and I put it out under a balloon for a few hours as a livebait but nothing went near it. Apart from that… ZERO!! No kahawai which is what I really wanted for livebait.

So I don’t think I’ll bother with either of those areas again. Just didn’t feel fishy at all.

Rocky

keenfisherman
    Participant

there are massive rays in lyttleton

rayhunter
    Participant

yes i hav had alot of them

keenfisherman
    Participant

Well I guess this theard is a little old but I was wondering, are rays around in winter, at lyttelton? I have a new rod which I think would be powerful enough for rays and am busting to give it a go.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ive just got myself a new LBG rod and reel and im keen to have a go myself.

Looking at going for a big shark myself

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.