land based game fishing canterbury

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Plenty of good beaches north and south of timaru that are common for seven gillers over summer. There’s places like browns beach and orari going north towards temuka and other places going south to st andrews. There’s a meat works at Pareora that has a big pipe going out to sea where all the scraps go out which apparently is good for big sharks and also further south at otaio river mouth.

yellowfin
    Participant

Pak’n Save have pilchards at the moment. They call them sardines for some reason (hey this is the Southern Hemisphere people…) but they are NZ blue pilchards. The big ones. Up North they’re the number one bait equal with bonito. Second best kingi bait I’ve used and the number one best kahawai bait.

First time I’ve seen them for sale in a supermarket in Timaru. Not particularly cheap but I’ve been buying them up anyway. They also make an absolute killer berley but probably a waste in winter because it’s not a cheap berley.

I’m not sure how experienced at LBG you all are down here because you don’t have the kingis to get you all obsessive. Up North we often spend a shit load on berley then throw it in the sea. It takes a bit of getting used to. Buying $20 worth of pillies or bonito then throwing them in the sea. We also spend an hour or more preparing berley. Cutting pillies and bonito into kahawai bite chunks with scissors. Experience has shown… all other things being equal…. that a killer berley often initiates a boomer fishing trip. We use mash, bread and corn as a filler.

I’m waiting for some time off then I’m going to do a full day berleying the Timaru harbour wharf area with a real chunky berley and put out bottom baits and floaters (and a livie if I can) and just see what… if anything… shows up.

rocky

smokin’ joe
    Participant

Rocky, let me know when you are gonna prep the harbour. I’ll bring a beer or 2 and watch the outcome……..
    i reckon prepping the water between Smithfield and abbotiors could yeild some good results, used to be plenty of sharks 20years ago when i used to surf the reef behind Smithfield.

rayhunter
    Participant

theres some good beachs up north canterbury for shark fishing so im thinking of makin lots of berley ,i got a mate thats on a big fishing boat so going to get alot of coota to make it with bring on summer :) :) :)

fishforpot
    Participant

Rayhunter , some summer , if your keen on chasing sharks , I’ll take you to the beach I fish ….sharks are a major pain on roughly 50% of the trips …we do NOT burley for them , but I’m sure you’d bring them heaps if you did ….
    The last outing we had we got one about 7 1/2 foot , and lost 2 others that were possibly bigger …thank god …releasing them is such an effort

oldgreyboy
    Participant

rocky plenty of big seven gillers off beach road seadown i use fresh wallaby as bait they love it wait till late spring i dont chase them now just like ellies and rig and schoolies

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea thanx oldgreyboy. Hmmm maybe that explains the dead wallaby I found sitting on one of my rock fishing spots the other day. Not washed up either. Freshly shot in the head. Quite odd. I’m picking any of the steep shingle beaches here will have 7 gillers cruising behind the breakers from about November onwards? Like those larger sharks tend to cruise up and down the length of the whole beach (according to chopper pilots anyway). Still I have noticed at other beaches… certain spots always seem to fish better even though the beach looks all the same. Have you noticed that or not oldgreyboy?

rocky

mulletman
    Participant

i have a mate who is a pilot, he has seen big sharks crusing just under the surface at birdlings and surrounding beaches, and along the chatam islands. He said they do swim along way up the beach, then turn around and head back. so it should pick up anything on the bottom.

yellowfin
    Participant

shit mulletman you still alive? hows those broadies treating you

Miliwolf
    Participant

Shit four posts in one evening from the Ginga? Has someone gotten better access to the Internet

yellowfin
    Participant

yea have while the old lady is on yet another holiday though instead of europe this year its america

rayhunter
    Participant

anyone got a Okuma platinum LBG rod as i got one off trade me any info on it be good

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve just read through this thread, really interesting.

The first real fishing trip I took my boy on, was when we moved to Chch and he was about 7. It was an evening session to the fishing jetty at Lyttleton and we didn’t really know what to expect. I forget what else we caught that night – but Michael (my boy) got a bite and struck like his life depended on it. I presume it was a ray – because this fish just slammed the rod back down onto the wooden rail and then draged the rod and him along the length of the jetty :) Luckily the line broke because I’m not sure if he would have let go of the rod! But he has been seriously hooked on fishing ever since.

When I told my cousin of this, who grew up in Chch, he said that when he was younger, him and his mates used to fish for rays at Lyttleton using a winch!

I’ve only ever hooked a ray once – was in the Sounds and I thought I’d caught the InterIslander. Personally, I share ‘rockys’ opinion on targeting rays – they’re not sport because you can just sit on a breakwater at dusk and when one swims along, throw out something smelly with a hook in it, get (admittedly a big) thrill as your reel screams – then lose a lot of line and tackle and leave a fish to swim around with it.

Miliwolf
    Participant

rayhunter

rayhunter
    Participant

most fishing shops have lbg rods ,i mite hav a look at the k-labs lbg rob if any good i may get one

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.