Karamea or Haast

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Does anyone know if Karamea or Haast is worth fishing at this time of year?

Might have a week or so off work and I am tyring to work out what to do with my time. Karamera is a shorter drive and should be warmer, I do not know if Snapper would still be about…..

Haast is further to the south…. Is it worth fishing outside of winter?

yellowfin
    Participant

karamea gurnard will still be around from reports ive heard

Miliwolf
    Participant

caught a ky at Karamea, sea was very rough most of the time.

Miliwolf
    Participant

On my recent trip I traveled from Franz Joseph in the south to Karamea in the north.

The sea was rough and the beaches often shallow. The beach I most liked the look of along the coast was called gentle annie about 20 minutes north of Westport. It has a nice river mouth and a campground close to the water.

North of Karamera, about 40 minutes along the hephy track this was a few nice rocky points also.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea gentle annieis good onthe north side of the mokinuhi(spelling) river a good trout river. can also catch kaiwhai flounder and mullet inthe mouth. along with conger eels snapper gurnard elephant fish school sharks rig doggies mullet and kaiwhai. i remember a few years back i got a huge kaiwhai. and i mean huge like i didnt even think they would come this big it was a animal. they have a fishing comp here every year run by the pub onthe south side which a while back burnt down un sure it its rebuilt yet and the comp runs for about 10days freesh and salt water. had my name on the leader board for about 6 days straight for kaiwhai good comp cant remember prizes but rather cheap to enter as well and the area for fishing i believe i to the top of gentle annie to some where way down south like 20km or something like that caught quite alot of flunder in the mouth there on rod and reel along with kaiwhai and loads of mullet.hope to get back there again sometime soon.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Heading over to Karamea in a couple of days.Keen for a fish.Anyone fished around the area? Beach looks fairly shallow but I was told there was some deep holes just north of Karamea.Ive only got a couple of days over there and dont really want to be straying too far.How longa drive from Karamea to Gentle Annie you reckon? Gentle annie really needs to be number 1 on my list.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Around a hour I guess, there is a mountain range which needs to be crossed. The beaches are shallow and the waves are big. I reckon Gentle Annie looked better then Kamaea when I was over there last.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.