Groper from the Shore

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Well I give it ago whenever I can but like you say it isn’t easy. I’ve done a lot of LBG in the past but the Catlins is the hardest and most dangerous I’ve done. Has miles and miles of rocky coast though. Practically all of Southland is rocky coast.

Very few access roads and scary high cliffs above the best rock formations. The swell can be unreal from the Southern ocean. It just screams out fish but I’ve done very poorly so far. All the ledges I’ve fished have been too shallow for what I’m looking for and I’ve walked miles humping a heavy pack and berley bucket. I’ve still got plenty of places left to try.

Biggest pain has been the sea lions. They’ll have a go at you. Hundreds of them in the best spots. Because of that it really only suits extreme LBG (groper, sharks) because those seals must hammer all the small fish. Catlins is the ONLY place in NZ I’ve been that I can regularly berley all day and not see a single fish of any size in the berley. I’m used to clouds of small fish in the berley trail.

Meant to be limit bags of Blue Cod off the rocks in the Catlins according to local rumour but I have yet to catch a single blue cod. If you’re ever down this way and I’m able to get away then I’m more than happy to go fishing with you. have you done much rock fishing before? It’s pretty much all I’ve done for years. I found every other form of fishing too boring after doing LBG.

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

Must admit that 90% of my rock fishing has been in the sheltered Sounds, the next 5% is at semi sheltered spots like Port Underwood or Tasman Bay. The remainder around the northern tip of Coromandel or in the far north.

From what I understand, Blue Cod and Groper share similar habitats, so not getting cod is a bad sign. I reckon there must be same great spots around FIordland, but access is a expedition in itself.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well it’s like this. The places I’ve fished I wouldn’t really expect to catch cod to be honest… once I actually fished them and saw how deep, water flow, kelp etc. I have seen totally awesome ledges but couldn’t get to them. Like in rough weather the swell turns into rollers over shallow water as you know and I’ve seen ledges that the huge swell just rolls past without breaking which means really deep water. Plus you can see by the land formations above water what it probably looks like underneath. Most rocky bays here have a shallow side that the sand has built up and then under the cliffs on the other side it goes straight down. Unfortunately it’s always been the shallow side that is accessable so far.

Until I fish a deep ledge then I can’t really rate the Catlins. As you probably know it’s often hard to tell what a rock platform is like until you actually fish it. I want a ledge where I can cast out as far as I can cast and the bait ends up under my feet because that’s how deep it is. Places like that usually go off big time. I’ve always thought around Fiordland too but I still think the Catlins may be okay if I can dial it in.

It’s a big area though so every trip is a mission in itself. If you’re ever coming down this way give me a yell. I did most of my LBG on East Cape but I’ve fished rocks all around Wanganui and Taranaki too. The South Island is proving to be a real challenge for me I admit.

rocky

fishforpot
    Participant

Mili , PM “croozer” he’s an Aussie but an ok sorta c#*t all the same , he doesnt mind driving for like ever to go fishing ….and I know he fishes the Catlins etc …
    He is the man you seek …

yellowfin
    Participant

I did PM croozer two days ago but no reply yet. How embarassing… being outfished by an Aussie in my own backyard!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

I might pencil a trip down between Marlborough anniversary and Labour Day, but that entirely depends on forecast and wither I can be bothered driving that far.

fishforpot
    Participant

He aint out fished me yet , unless you count spiney dogs …….he’s like the King of them lmao

Mind you , both times we fished my spots , I’m sure he’d wipe me out in his own back yard

I spoke to him a few nights ago , he’s been working stupid hours …so dont panic

smokin’ joe
    Participant

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

Catlins are Forecasted to be quite flat this week.

Shame its a 10hr drive

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.