Groper from the Shore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I doubt they would ever be allowed to return to the shallows. The ministry of fisheries seem determined to keep them in a depleted state.

St_Paul
    Participant

They used to get them from the shore off pendarves too. Unfortunately it would probably take at least 50 years of no fishing to see them return to anything like this.

fishforpot
    Participant

A trawler picked up a netfull of schoolie grouper a km off Birdlings Flat a couple of years ago …. so they are out there

Miliwolf
    Participant

The schoolies still move around quite a bit, can catch them in the shallows, even in the Sounds but its the mature resident fish which are now restricted to very deep water..

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Me and a friend caught a few school groper in Clova Bay / Grant Bay, Marlborough sounds a few years ago………….. easily casting distance from the shore but we were in a boat. Actually lets be honest, he caught them, not me. lol. But here’s me holding them.

yellowfin
    Participant

those are more red cod size

HookLineSinker
    Participant

You may have heard mili, there is a spot between seaview beach and the Awatere river mouth, around midway that apparently used to produce grouper from the beach based on reports of the old locals out seddon way.

Miliwolf
    Participant

HookLineSinker

fishforpot
    Participant

A ledge at the north head of Paua Bay , Banks Peninsula produced a good sized grouper back in the 60’s …and I heard of a grouper taken about 10 yrs ago off the Huranui mouth ….on a chunk of mullet …..

With see fishing tho , ya gotta have a bait in the water , and anything is possible …

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

It is commonly known with commercial fishers and many recreational anglers, that at specific times of the year, Groper need to be close to shore, under waterfalls, near river confluences etc to flush their internals with fresh water.
    This is essential in their life cycle and kills parasites that generate in salt water.
    The time of year varies from area to area but I recall Fiordland – South Westland area is usually around February.

yellowfin
    Participant

Funny you say that because I heard from an ex-tackle store owner that groper enter the waimak mouth around march I think it was, to de-lice themselves. Worth doing a bit of bait fishing around these areas?

yellowfin
    Participant

I have seen photos (when I worked as a fishing journalist) of groper taken from rock ledges in the lower South Island by North island LBG guys testing the area. Many were caught and released. I think from memory only two were actually kept and eaten.

They were taken in several different locations including lower West Coast, Fiordland and Catlins. There is a trick to finding them which basically involves looking for the deepest water possible in very rocky areas that boats cannot easily access and using crab for bait. It also involves walking very long distances with heavy packs and fishing remote and very dangerous locations. All normal LBG stuff really. Ropes are often used to get down to suitable ledges.

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

Interesting feedback Rocky, do you have a time frame on when these trips likely took place?

yellowfin
    Participant

To be honest it was about fifteen years ago. I just don’t want to believe that they are all gone so I’m holding onto the belief that it can still be done.

I know the best ledges were lower West Coast and there was a bit of a write up in the magazine. Apparently because the water is so shallow (by Groper standards) they put up a hell of a fight and go straight for a cave every time. So you need heavy tackle and lock up. I think they might have been using Alveys. The Groper don’t blow up either.

I remember the photos showed really nasty looking country. Still I live in the Catlins now and there’s some really impressive (but unreachable) rock formations along the coast here with massive swells even in fine weather. Most of the coast here and further south is totally unfished from land. There’s deep guts that boats can’t reach that have never been fished and I believe that is what you have to find because Groper are resident fish apparently.

Not that I advocate catching them. I’d love to but I’d have to release it I think.

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

15 years ago is not to bad.

I would love to do same serious missions down that way but the problem is finding the time, weather and companions willing to put in the effort.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.