Driving on the beach.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Has anyone tried driving on the gravely, shingle beaches which are typical of the east coast south island?

Has anyone here tried driving on the Clifford Bay beaches?

I am tempted to drive onto the beach at Seaview and drive down to the mouth of the Awatere. I once watched a Ute driving along the beach and they did not seem to have much trouble. I use to drive on the beach from Marfells beach down to the start of the rocks at mussel points but that is mainly firm sand and is quite easy driving.

tracknz
    Participant

I used to drive on the beach at Birdlings, Bailies and Amberly with no problems. 4X4 bighorn with 31×10.5 tires and ltd slip diffs front and back. Pays to carry a compressor so you can pump your tires back up if you have to let a bit of air out to get some xtra grip. I always carried a shovel and a set of super grippers just in case. Avoid wheel spin and you shouldnt need to worrie about the shovel.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah we’ve driven along amberley and a few other similar shingle beaches. Your fine if you can keep the momentum up and stay high up on the beach. Its when you stop you get into trouble.
    Its never really been a major issue tho. Just let the tyres down and its usually enough to get you going again. And that was only with shitty road/4wd tyres.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sounds positive… My memory of Birdlings is the gravel is quite deep and ‘loose’ compared with my local beaches. So I should be fine, just a bit worried that I have only seen one person driving along it. Would call into the local 4-WD shop and purchase a compressor one day shortly. I guess turning around would be one area prone to problems.

What are “super grippers”?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ud b fine going up to the mouth and turning round wouldnt to much a challenge as the mouth bank should be quite solid with all the river stones. Its coming back that you may find a challenge coming back up onto the hard stuff at the carpark the last 5 to 10metres is real soft and loose but with enough momentum ud make a good go of it, just got to hope no one parked in the way.

Miliwolf
    Participant

True, that section is quite sandy and soft. If someone parks in my way it would be the perfect thing to connect my hand winch onto :twisted: (In reality its probably to weak and would of been left at home)

Heading over to Seaview tonight for a fish, conditions seem rough for the east coast beaches for the next 7 days+ so going to make the most of it.

tracknz
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sounds like a good idea :) , Might buy myself a set.

Just been down to the beach I plan driving on and it looks very firm and driving on it should be sweet :) Looks better then many of the roads around Marlborough.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Couple of nights ago, I decided to see how my truck preformed on the beach at seaview.

Stopped at the carpark, inspected the soft sand and the rocks… Mmmm.

Back into truck and across the sand and onto the beach gravel, it was easy driving at first. There are a few cool looking cliffs about halfway to the mouth. Anyway, the beach grew smaller and smaller, in one section I had to drive through the waves there was so little room. There was heaps of sand humps and hollows I had to cross beneath the high tide mark :( , they were slightly to soft for comfort but never really got stuck.

Quickly got to the Awatere river mouth, not much room to park or to turn…. apart from being low I did not know what the tide was doing and I was a bit cornered about the narrow section… Got my truck wet on the way back… For the most part the beach was easy driving.

Getting back to the carpark was the hard part. My initial attempt resulted in failure, so backed off and set my surf rods up. Back into the truck and in low box slowly creped through the soft sand, had to reverse once but slowly got back onto firm ground…

Would not be heading back down there by myself any time soon, might be prepared to accompany another truck.

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff miliwolf, i have driven on the shingle at birdling flat/ bayleys and i hate it, dont go very far down the beach and stay up high by the dunes but always feel like i am going to get stuck ownly got 75%road and 25%off so dont expect much more, all ways good to be back on hard stuff, but good on you for giving it a go by yourself, the mind working overtime thinking if i get stuck what the hell will i do

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ur a keen man there milli, this area of narrow beach sounds interesting, does it run right close in against the bluffs or was there very little suitable stuff to drive on?
    If it does narrow it sounds like an interesting place for a fish what were your thoughts, iv never ever been keen to drive a vehicle on the sand (espcially by myself, asking for disaster) as its always looked way to soft and also i have big tread tyres which tend to dig holes too easily.
    Anyway good onya for taking the leap of faith, although it could have ended with egg on the face all the same possibly :razz: .

Miliwolf
    Participant

It does look like a interesting spot if you follow the theory that the fish concentrate at spefefic locations. (I mainly beleive they swim parrael to the coast in most cases). There would be very little room to drive at high tide when the fishing is best. I suspect at high tide and a modest swell the waves would be touching the cliff. Tempted to drive back down there for a better look.

From memory there was 2-3 car widths of compact sand ( the waves covering them in the odd spot), then a bit of a climb to a rugged stony section of maybe 10m to the cliff. It looked a bit to rough for driving.

My truck has all Terran tyres so they are tready but not to tready. They still dug into the beach at times so had to keep my speed up.

It was a calculated risk, I knew it was possible to drive on the compact sand which is below water at high tide. Myself and others often drive on it at Marfells, plus I seen the ute driving along it at Blind river. My main concern was the stoney shingle sections, but that is typically above high-tide and there was plenty of time to free myself. In reality the only place it looked like getting stuck was the dry sand when returning to the carpark.

I really should install a towbar and that way I could bring the work motor bike down there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.