catching stingrays

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

does anyone have any favorite techniques for catching big rays off beachs, or any prefferd tackle???

Miliwolf
    Participant

Keep the bait near or on the bottom, sheltered muddy/sandy bottom seems to be the best. Heavy tackle, the fight hard and any surf would result in a lot of drag. Stand on the tail while removing the hook, its often safer just to cut the line.

yellowfin
    Participant

It should be safe to remove the hook as long as you’re directly in front of it. I just put my hand underneath and feel for the hook. You’ll probably need a decent reel with a good smooth drag and line in diameter of about 0.50 which is around 15kg. If the reel doesn’t have enough drag you might need to put your hand on the spool while pulling. Most rods you wont be able to put enough pressure on with the rod in the air so just put the rod straight and pull. When they run don’t try to stop them as they will most likely break something, but when they stop pull as hard as you can or they will just sit there on the bottom. Preferred tackle is as heavy as you can fish, a stiff rod and solid reel with good drag and line capacity. Don’t use any low quality hooks that might bend out and bigger hooks like 10/0 usually hook better and easier to remove.

They will take any size bait but bigger is better and something like squid, yellow eyed mullet, kahawai etc will work. Best time of the year is probably november – april. They should be anywhere around south shore, taylors mistake and around lyttelton. At the pier there was one caught in november, then none that I heard of untill I got one in I think April, then a few weeks after that they were around in massive numbers for at least a week which could mean they were moving north along the beach from lyttelton, south shore etc. Not sure on their movements and where they are at certain times of the year but they were around in numbers off the Bluff wharf at the bottom of the South Island during april but I got no idea if they are still around during winter. If you look in books the information on Short-tail rays says they are not even found in the South Island.

Be carefull of the tails as they are fast and have a lot of movement, anyone who was there when a guy cut up a stingray on the kaikoura wharf will know and that guy nearly got a barb in his face more than once.

yellowfin
    Participant

yeh lol good old jesus ae

fishforpot
    Participant

Oh yes , thy are quick alright …..I had one that I thought was as good as dead shove his tail thru my leg ……buggered a good pair of waders

yellowfin
    Participant

pillie or big chunk of squid sitting on the bottom, bait runner open, let em run a bit then hit it hard.
    Good fun when fought them in the sounds.

yellowfin
    Participant

whats a phillie? and a bait runner wouldnt have enough capacity on the spool to land a stingray

yellowfin
    Participant

sam u tard u should know what he means. and a bait runner would easily have enough line cap on the spool

yellowfin
    Participant

From what I seen off the kaikoura wharf they will come sit on top of your bait for a while before eating and moving off. The one I got when greg was there we could see the bait on the bottom clearly and the stingray come sit on top. Thought it had eaten the bait but was just sitting there first time and pulled the bait away from underneath, then dropped it down again and waited for it to come back. Soon as it moved off it was hooked. A normal baitrunner would be fine for landing smaller rays and I’ve never had a ray take like 200 meters+ of line. What I think is important for rays is a strong drag and solid reel that can take the pressure but for a really big one 100 – 200kg + you’ll probably need a lot of line. When I hooked whatever I hooked off the kaikoura wharf on one of my trips this year I got totally smashed and had no hope of stopping whatever it was before the swivel on the trace broke, but the main problem was my drag was sticky which meant the rod and everything was jerking which is probably what caused the swivel to fail so a smooth drag is really important. I’ve overdone it on most my reels with around 400 – 500 meters of 50lb braid backing then around 200 meters mono on top of that, braid should last a while so when I replace line I only need to replace the top 200 meters of mono.

yellowfin
    Participant

sam.peterson

fishforpot
    Participant

Same , baitrunners are all I use for surfcasting

When you said “phillies” I had images of mulletman putting a live horse on his hook lmao

yellowfin
    Participant

You’ll catch the smaller ones on any tackle, my first ever one was on some $5 plastic jarvis walker reel although it would be one of the smaller ones I’ve caught. Baitrunners are perfect for general surfcasting and for rig etc but if we are talking preferred tackle I wouldn’t go out planning to catch a stingray which could be over 200kg on a baitrunner and 200 meters of 20lb line. It’s all about landing them not hooking them because all I ever hear about is the stingray that got away.

rayhunter
    Participant

hi guys i use a 8ft boat rod and a pen liveliner reel with 50ld braid with 5/o hooks that works great the biggst i hav landed is 115 kg and they are great fun to catch

yellowfin
    Participant

well not from my experiences at the start of march with stingrays on my abu 10000 baitrunner first run it nearly spooled me and i was down to about 20-60 meters of line for most of the 4 hours of the fight

yellowfin
    Participant

rayhunter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.