catching stingrays

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jacktrout
    Participant

sam.peterson

yellowfin
    Participant

Generally with rays tighting the drag on most spinning and baitrunner type reels to max wouldn’t even make a difference if its a big ray it will still keep going like its not even hooked. Full drag on my Daiwa Saltist 50 which is the type of reel people use for catching kingfish didn’t even slow down the ray I had off the Kaikoura wharf and that wasnt even half the size they grow to.

Jacktrout
    Participant

God I can’t wait to hook one one the fly rod

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve seen pictures on another forum of rays caught on saltwater fly tackle but obviously very heavy duty stuff

fishforpot
    Participant

Jacktrout , y’d be much better using your time and energy chasing school sharks ……Ive had them off pendarves at christmas time , actually tailwalking ….
    Ive never found the rays that exciting fight wise

Jacktrout
    Participant

haw haw :razz:

St_Paul
    Participant

Jacktrout

dutchharry
    Participant

I haven’t caught one of these yet.Doing my homework ,i found the idea of TURNING RAYS ON THEIR BACK to remove the hooks
    and cut up etc. Makes sense ,they only arch their tails up dont they? :idea: :geek:

yellowfin
    Participant

I read that you shouldnt turn them on their backs as it can damage their organs or if they’re pregnant it can kill them or something like that. Also you shouldn’t put your hands in their gills to move them as they can get infections. To remove the hook you are perfectly safe directly in front of it as long as you dont lean over it the tail can not reach in front but it has a lot of movement up and side to side.

mulletman
    Participant

females carry their eggs just under the skin on their back, thats the 2 big riges on eather side of their spine so turning them on their back would be a very bad idea :wink: :wink: . and what size trace would you recomend :?: :?: :?:

yellowfin
    Participant

If by trace you mean what size trace material I use 200lb mono or steel trace, doesn’t really matter to much if you’re only planning on catching rays as they don’t have teeth that are gonna bite through mono but could still cause abrasion to lighter lines. Heavy mono or steel holds up better and is a good idea since it’s possible to hook up on a seven giller or schoolie while targetting rays.

mulletman
    Participant

so i guess that 50lb trace would be a bit bloody small aye

yellowfin
    Participant

i very rarely use less than 50lb trace for any surf fishing now. use a lighter one off the kaikoura wharf about 20lb or when bait fishing in the rivers otherwise its 60lb tough trace or higher 200lb when going for conger/sharks/whatever big off the beach and 80lb for rig etc

Miliwolf
    Participant

80lb trace, 40lb shockleader unless fishing for Sharks :)

For Snapper in the sounds I only use 40lb trace. Caught quite a few rays on that to.

mulletman
    Participant

cool hey thanks for the help aye, the stingray is one of the fish on my list of (fish to catch this year ) along with 7 gillers, big conger and flounder. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.