Catching elephants

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

ive seen on a dvd pete lambs one i think it was part of the idea of a pulley rig is when fishing in foul ground when the fish takes the line if pulls the sinker up wth it this making

Miliwolf
    Participant

It is not essential to use beads on a pulley rig, but they are inexpensive so I include them. There are cheap bulk ones on trademe. They are around $12 for 500 beads.

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

Sevengillz
    Participant

I might have to bang some of these pulley rigs together and give them a whirl.They would be ideal for longer casts wouldnt they?

I spose these rigs would defeat the purpose of using BOS’s?

Also the line between the sinker and the trace,how long would that be in comparison to the trace line? And is it meant to be heavier than your mainline?

Looking at these rigs im thinkin they would be ideal for snapper from the shore in the sounds.Only one way to find out.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, they do help with distance. Especially if you use a bait clip to prevent the bait from swinging around during flight.

They work well with BOS. I use pulley rigs 90% of the time.

St_Paul
    Participant

with a standard overhead cast, you should get around 20% extra distance.

using the off the ground or brighton/unitec its possible to get a bait out over 100metres.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just be thinking about the elephant fish.

Considering getting a pile of Kina, Mussles and cockles and creating a burley. Then head down to one of the surf beaches, on Marfells it would be possible to walk the burley out 20-30m…. But the others would require the use of the yak. Deposit the burley (shells and on) then catch all of the Moki, Gurnards, Snappers and elephants as they feed on the trial.

Bugger, might of just given away a awesome plan.

Sevengillz
    Participant

let us know how you get on 8)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Yeah so i can come up there and fish the place out :twisted:
    I mean… :shock: fish with a responsible manner… :oops:

yellowfin
    Participant

caught all my elephant fish on squid and tonight was the first of the season

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve heard of people walking out at low tide and dropping paint tins full of berley with holes drilled in them for burley pots.

I guess you could just tie a rope to it for retrieval… Its something I’ve thought of giving a go but never actually got around to it.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Its a good idea I might try it out at hampden etc. perfect spot, a shallow bit i can walk out onto in waders to deposit the berley. Then leave and cast out my rod. Might get an ele, or a rig or anything else around.

yellowfin
    Participant

jezdw

yellowfin
    Participant

im in timaru was fishing at hook beach 35 kms south of timaru but have been hearing of them being caught north of temuka also so the good numbers cant be far away :grin:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.