Casting Methods

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Just wondering what method everyone uses for casting? Personally I have always just used the standard Brighton/off the ground cast, as it seems easier especially for casting off the beaches. I know some people use a pendulum style cast, and it’s been proven that a pendulum cast will get more distance than a standard off the ground cast, since it loads the rod a lot better. I’ve never actually seen anyone at the beach to a full pendulum cast. I suppose it takes a while to learn and perfect it.

[code:3h31w5wg]http://shoreangling4u.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/stick.gif[/code:3h31w5wg]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIb7tdktuA

Miliwolf
    Participant

I do off the ground maybe 10% of the time, the rest of the time I do a overhead thump or a gentle flick. No need for distance casting.

yellowfin
    Participant

All of them :mrgreen: What ever I need to do for either distance needed or not needed.Only do the full pendulum when I have lots of space and no one on the wrong side of me .

Yakkaman
    Participant

Hell i took a look at pendulum casting on that youtube link, mani’d put my back out or end up over the rail at the pier :lol: :lol:

I willstay with over head and side casting.

rdeejay
    Participant

Unless you’re fishing a flat beach i can’t see the pendulum coming into use on a steep shingle beach as the weight would end up whacking the ground during the swing and seeing as though i fish birdlings flat mainly then it would be out of the question even if i did have the right reel and rod for the job. I stick with the brighton cast as well on my bigger rod for distance and just a standard overhead on the smaller one for fishing closer, that way i have both bases covered.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yakkaman

Yakkaman
    Participant

Over head casting on the Pier is naughty never ever attemp this style some one could get hurt :roll: :lol:

rdeejay
    Participant

Yakkaman

Yakkaman
    Participant

Ok i’m guilty i’ve cast illegally but no way will i ever attempt the hammer throw :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

You can get enough distance off the pier with a simple underarm cast off the side anyway, and with a bit of practice you can probably get nearly as far as an overhead cast. I find it silly that people overhead cast from the side of the pier when it’s not like they’re casting into any deeper water, and could get enough distance from an underarm cast. Although I still have done the odd overhead cast myself if it’s late and there’s nobody else around.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Id like to see a pendulum cast with a 5oz sinker and a whole kahawai head on a 100lb wire trace….would be interesting to see how far it goes. :mrgreen:

yellowfin
    Participant

You would need a rod with a lot of guts but it could be done . :grin: Properly wouldn’t go for miles but a bait that size never will.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.