Braid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    fishsnatcher
    Participant

I use braid for trout fishing and find it to be brilliant to get that extra distance when casting rapalas and ohter light lures that would otherwise be impossible to cast.

I use 9lb mono backing with 9lb black magic braid on top, the only trouble is it tends to slip through the “fat” mono and this can cause tangles or it can snag when casting and the lure wizzes away into the distance, the knot between the mono and braid also tends to surface through the braid and sometimes catches.

I am going to buy a small reel [so i will not need to much braid to fill it up, plus smaller reels, bettercasting? or at least thats the theory…]

9lb has the thickness of 2lb mono, so its all good [at least rapala braid does] and i don’t like to go too much lighter 8lb maybe…

anyway whats the cheapest 9lb-8lb braid available, that could fill up my spool, to eliminate the need for mono, and reduce tangles?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Cheap braid would result in more tangles and more problems. .

Are you going to get a Baitcaster or a Spinning reel?

If spinning then 4 or 6lb Berkley Fireline is quite good value, on traceme 300yds can be gotten for around $50. That’s enough to fill a Shimano 2500 reel twice (With a little backing). If you reverse the line at the end of the season then 300yds should last 4 years.

For a baitcaster, maybe give Powerpro braid a try. It is $52 for 300yds

Most braids overtest something amazingly, very few braids would break beneath 10lb. I know that 4lb fireline breaks between 10-12lb.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Sorry bad wording, what I mean was cheapest price for good quality braid

Ha yeah braid does tend to be pretty tough

yellowfin
    Participant

I was looking at spooling at least one of my reels fully with braid and a mono shockleader, but after looking at the prices I’m not too sure. To spool my Tica Cybernetic with 50lb Power Pro would cost loads, as it’s only the diameter of 12lb mono it would take over 500yds to spool.

500yds of Power Pro costs $105 and that would fill my reel, but I’m not sure if it’s really worth it. From what I’ve heard braid can last a long time, but it can be over 10 times more expensive.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Full only half of your reel with braid and using a mono backing is another option.

I have 300yds of Performance braid on one of my spare spools and have never used it. I have found a quality nylon like Pioneer flexline does the job and stands up to the punishment quite well. Another reason I shy away from braid is that I rarely have to do long casts plus I hate doing the connection knot.

I use fireline which is like a braid on my small reels, mainly for softplastic fishing but they never get to see the surf.

yellowfin
    Participant

It seems the Cortland Blackspot braid is a bit cheaper. One of my reasons for wanting to spool a reel with braid was for the line capacity, even though the Cybernetic is probably one of the biggest Surf reels on the market in NZ, I like to have enough line in case I hook a big fish/shark. 500yds of 50lb probably is a bit too overkill though.

yellowfin
    Participant

Found this: http://www.decoro.co.nz/shop/Braid+Line … tural.html

500yds of 50lb for $58

But I wouldn’t be sure on the quality, even in the post it recommends to use for backing. Probably not suitable for surfcasting. Anyone used it?

They also have Powerpro Spectra 50lb / 500yds for $80

yellowfin
    Participant

Looking at getting some braid, would be for backing only, so no worrys about quality for casting etc

Has anyone tried any of the cheap PELAGIC brand stuff being sold on trademe?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin … er=2268971

This is the person selling it, also got a whole lot of other cheap fishing gear based in Australia.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been told that it is ‘woven’ on old technology machines and is quite thick compared with newer braids. But other then that it is nice and strong and should be ok.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah noticed it was a bit thicker than other braids, and really if I only use it for a backing on some reels it should be fine.

Edit: Bought a 1200m roll of 80lb stuff for a good price so will see what it’s like, should last me a while

yellowfin
    Participant

ive used it and found it crap

yellowfin
    Participant

What was wrong with it? Just bad for casting and abrasian?

yellowfin
    Participant

really bad for abrasion

yellowfin
    Participant

One of the discussions that never makes sense to me is all the ‘special’ effort that is suggested to wind braid onto a reel. It is regularly commented that braid should be wound tightly onto the reel and there are several suggested methods, like using cardboard discs to increase tension or making a bench spool with an adjustable spring tensioner.

However first time out fishing with say a plastic lure connected to a light lead hook head is cast out, 20 – 30 m plus drift say 50 m and is then retrieved back to the boat with a minimum amount of resistance / tension, unless a good Kingi is hooked, otherwise the braid is simply wound on and off the reel as long as you sit out there casting the lure.

What happens to all the ‘special’ tension at this stage?

Just curious! Stevo

troutfishernz
    Participant

Saw some Sportfisher braid at Kmart on Saturday, Anyone used it? Seemed quite cheaply priced at $17 for 150yds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.