Braid

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Doesn’t sound that cheap for just 150yds. Depending what line weight you are after, it may be advantageous to shop on TradeMe. For freshwater a lot are using about 15 to 20lb and as it is so fine they are needing to either buy 300 to 500m spools and one shot it, or wind on a backing line then top shot it at a shorter length. Anything less than 15lb will and does look finer than Mum’s cotton and a real headache if it tangles or if it rubs against your cold fingers….OUCH! Take some bandages with you just in case.
    Let us all know what fishing you want to do with it, plus what rod reel etc you intend to try it on and the members will assist you with what weight line you should be after.

troutfishernz
    Participant

$17 dollars seemed cheap to me, Most the stores Ive looked at its like 50-60$ for 300yrds. Even the Warehouse is charging $28 for 150yrds of spiderwire braid.

If I was to buy some braid it would be for Surfcasting, Mainly because Ive heard you can cast a lot further with braid due the thinner diameter.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

I have a brand new 300m spool of 50lb Spectra Extreme Braid you can have for $30 delivered if you are keen.
    I bought it for a sea reel I no longer have use for and is a bit heavy for the Waitaki Lakes and canals. :|
    Thickness is 0.36mm which puts it comparable to about 18lb mono.
    Check this link for the charts:
    http://www.mels-place.com/Contents/ABCs … meters.htm
    PM me if interested.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Thanks, But 50lb is a bit heavy for surfcasting in my opinion. I prefer to go lighter and get a better fight, I use 12lb or 20lb or mono currently but was thinking 20lb braid would be alright. Not sure how it would stand up abrasion wise but I only fish in calm conditions so it might not be to bad?

yellowfin
    Participant

Braid for surfcasting i would either go powerpro. bout 60 bucks i think for 300m, or Sufix performance braid about 75 for 300m. both in 20lb

yellowfin
    Participant

i have only used 50lb powerpro and found it not too bad, although it doesnt like to get shocked,

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

I know of some very accomplished Salmon anglers using 50lb braid on their bottom mount rods, they swear by it.
    20lb braid will be thinner than cotton whereas if you fish with 12 or 20lb mono at present, you can afford to up the line strength and still feel a huge advantage. Biggest advantage is that mono floats high in the water column, braid sinks, mono stretches and negates those soft touches, braid is unforgiving, the price of a one shot spool of quality mono is about the same as the various offerings in braid available at present.
    Personally, I would be using 12lb braid for spinning for trout, but would up the anti on Salmon and Surfcasting.
    Due to braid sinking, expect a greater occurrence of chafing in bottom grinding from the sea bed reducing the line strength (eventually) and reducing the life span of the braid, hence the use of a heavier test braid.
    Remember more importantly, if you remove the flex of the mono with braid replacement, you will need a very understanding rod, that can cope with those bigger fights and the style of retrieve is totally different with no margin for error.
    The term rip some lips comes to mind also, you will hurt more fish and I have been informed from within the trade, there have already been discussions about banning the use of braid for freshwater due to heightened incidence of fish harm.
    A few points to ponder.

Duckman
    Participant

I was sent some hooker 50lb braid and at .37mm diameter i don’t think its that thick at all compared to mono 30lb at .45 mm thick

Miliwolf
    Participant

A few things to know about braid, and most lines in general. Often the diameter noted on the specs are different from the actual tested diameter… wither thats due to variation within the line itself or in testing equipment I do not know. So often, the cheaper the braid the more ‘wrong’ the claimed diameter or breaking strain is…

Here are the claimed breaking strains and claimed daimeter of a few brands / suprerlines. So the diameter of Hooker braid seems to be right in the middle. Berkely Whiplash is a clear outlier.

Berkley Whiplash Super Braid: 50lb / 0.17mm
    Berkley FIreline Flame: 50lb / 0.35mm
    Power Pro Braid: 50lb / 0.36mm
    Sufix Gyro Braid: 50lb / 0.45mm
    Sufix Performance: 50lb / 0.34mm
    JigStar Dyneema: 50lb / 0.38mm

Compared with a few mono brands and braid is approximately half the diameter of Mono.

Berkley Trilene Big Game: 24kg / 0.71mm
    MomoI Hi-Catch Hi-Vis: 24kg / 0.74mm
    Sufix Ultra Supreme 24kg / 0.64mm
    Rovex Devil 50lb / 0.70mm
    Hooker Mono: 24kg / 0.65mm

The first three are all IGFA rated lines, so should break beneath 24kg. Most braids in my experience test massively above their rated strengths. A few years back I personally tested half a dozen or so spools of trout tippet. I could not measure their diameter, and my strength test was not exactly scientific but I tested all brands equally and the results were all over the place. If I remember correctly, the brands which promised the highest “breaking strains” broke at a lower pressure then the rest.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Anyone used Phantom red powerpro braid :?:
    Just brought some 10lb for Trout fishing and Surf casting in super calm conditons.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Anyone know of a decent cheap braid for Backing?, Just got 300m of 30lb power pro for Surfcasting but my reel will easily take double that dont really want to use mono just incase I get spooled and the mono breaks.

yellowfin
    Participant

If its only for backing thinks like hooker braid or theres some cheap braid that someone in amberley sells on trade me, for a fish to take over 300m means its something fairly decent

troutfishernz
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Just looked at some hooker braid Seems good value at 200m of 50lb for $20.

I know it would take a decent fish to spool 300m of line but it does happen, My mate in Nelson was using 40lb braid once and he hooked a what we suspect was a huge eagle ray which spooled him and cause his mono backing was less strength than the braid it snapped first end he lost about $40 worth of braid.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.