Abu & Penn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sevengillz
    Participant

Hi all ,

Anyone out there using Abu Verita’s or Penn Prevail 14’6 rods? If so what one and what do you think of it?

Cheers.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Looks like you posted in the wrong thread siamon…..

I have used neither rod, but own the Veritas softbait rod. Lets say it was severely lacking in durability, the guides while very lightweight were extremely soft and my first copy of the rod beaked under pressure… It was replaced under warranty but it makes me question the quality of the rods. Apart from the breaking the blank and hence action was very nice. No guarantee that any of this can be directly related to the surf rods in the Vertias range.

The newest surf rod I have used is a Sonik SKS, I won it in a competition but for the money it has a very nice blank and action. The components reflect the price, but I doubt they would give trouble.

Sevengillz
    Participant

I ended up getting the 14’6″ Veritas. Very near got two of them but got a heavily discounted 14′ Okuma Predator for a “knockaround” rod. I think thats going to be replaced by a 14′ Daiwa coastal or crossfire sooner rather than later.

yellowfin
    Participant

the prevail is just the new slammer rod to my understanding just red instead of gold, the veritas have improved but they used to be bad for snapping but they have fixed this bug to some degree so I have been told, the coastal is a nice rod for the price,

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah according to tackle tactics the newer veritas surf rods also come with fuji K guides , apparently the older ones didnt. Nice rods and no complaints from me but I am casting the same distance with the same setups with a Daiwa crossfire which for its price im pretty happy with its performance. Swapped an okuma predator for it. What a piece of shit the okuma was .

yellowfin
    Participant

Im fishing this season with my 16′ fin nor cheap rod was 80buks off trademe and i got another one last week for 72$
    Ive landed 35lb tope and big rig, sk8t , salmon, and 7 gills on it
    Never been happier with a rod.
    If your gunna go expensive id just go online to get them to avoid retail which is outstandingly higher.
    But the tica surf reels and fin nor offshore reels havent let me down.
    Cheers

Linesman
    Participant

I purchased the Veritas rod, much to my regret. Poor quality was quickly evident, and as already mentioned the guides were cheap and bent very easily. I have seen elsewhere this rod came in for heavy criticism, at the price you would think the rod would come supplied with a rod bag. Sadly this is not the case you need to buy your own.

If I break the rod the test of personal satisfaction comes with the question, would I buy another Veritas rod? No, I believe I can do better.

Sevengillz
    Participant

rig_slasher

Sevengillz
    Participant

Linesman

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.