Sinkers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Other then breakout sinkers what are a few good alternatives for fishing in the surf? I have my own preferences and bias but would like to hear other opinions on what works well.

yellowfin
    Participant

It all depends on the conditions. I prefer any breakout style sinker (BOS, Gemini etc) for surfcasting. I’ve used the sand spike type ones that are a circle with small bumps on each side, they work fine in calm conditions.

St_Paul
    Participant

I make and use the gemini breakouts and highly recommend them. have used the sand grip type zac mentioned and they work OK on sand in areas with little or no current. for fishing over foul ground I normally use sinkers made using an egg carton and fence staples, makes them real cheap if you want to fish somewhere where you don’t want to loose you $6 BOS sinkers

yellowfin
    Participant

16:00 this arvo went into town to get a few extra BOS’s. Geez, you can tell there are a couple of comps on this weekend, 4 stores in central city were sold out completely, 2 more had only 3oz left in small quantities. Last resort Warehouse Eastgate (on way to Southshore) luckily they had good stocks 3-4-5-6ozs. So if (stupidly) like me you have left it to the last minute to stock up, forget looking in town, theres nothing there.

yellowfin
    Participant

Breakouts a lot of the time and like StPaul I make my own .
    I also use a upside down pyramid style a lot for fishing in areas where theres no need for a wired sinker and the pyramid will hold well in moderate seas .Adds a bit of drag when winding in but I can live with that. Cheap as well :grin:
    When in really snaggy areas a spoon type gets used can sometimes get the gear up and away from those nasty rocks.

I make all of my own sinkers with the exception of casting ones ( still looking for the right mould ) Esp with breakouts running around $4ea or so :roll:

fishforpot
    Participant

As above , the pyraimd sinker holds fairly well in course sand and shingle …..

elmo22
    Participant

i also use breakout sinkers hold good in most conditions

fishforpot
    Participant

They hold real good when fishing over the reef at Napenape Elmo ……lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.