Rig Fishing Kaikoura

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Yesterday I was fishing near the mouth of the Kowhai River and caught a massive 1.8m Rig using dirty old squid bait.I was fishing with my partner and after no bites for about an hour I was packing up her gear and turned around to see my rod pulled out of my rod holder heading for the surf after a good fight couldnt believe the size of the rig took photos measured it with my rod.No idea how much it weight but could not carry up the beach only took the good bits hope.

First time at that spot but will be back

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good job, you sound pleased with the catch.

Rig do occasionally take most baits, a few even take pilly. If you can not get crustaceans bait like Cray, Crabs or Prawn then Squid is probably the next best. Most fish would eat squid.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Miliwolf

kaikourafisho
    Participant

hay biddo you just told every one my spot
    it is a good spot coz not alot of people fish there they think theres no fish there
    ive had few rig there bigest being 14kg rig ! got to sevengillers last friday both would of been easy
    25 plus kgs plus a 8 kilo rig my mate also got a 10 kilo one ! put a big long peice of trevaly on your
    hook an your be sure to get one but hang on good fight haha an ive been useing cray an crabs for
    the rig

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have blanked every time I fished there (which is twice ), although I am normally there during the middle of the day trying to waste time until evening.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I caught the rig at lunchtime

yellowfin
    Participant

I have fished there a few times and caught rig and moki and sometimes salmon.Kahawai are usually caught there as well with the odd
    cuda and red cod.Cant really reccomend it as its a secret.Heard there was an ele landed there two days ago.Keep away from there its no good.lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.