pomfret catches in Kaikoura

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

u should be able to see reef structure on the map, if not, look in the spot X map, that might help

yellowfin
    Participant

what size is your boat? Where is the reef off Lyttleton? Nice fish to eat the pomfret, great catch. did you catch them mid-3/4 water?

bluehunter
    Participant

Hi,
    Yes they were great eating, They came from the bottom at about 60 meters deep. The Boat is 7.3 meters with a 200 Salwater Series Merc on the back.. actually I’m just looking at getting it serviced.. Mr Boats seem to be the cheaper one for this… any ideas?

I went out Lyttleton on Sunday for another test run with the family and friends… stayed within the bays as I’m still getting used to the size of the thing plus weather was not the best. Not much fish around apart from sharks… caught a nice one though while untangling 3 lines… measured 120cm… brought it up by hand.. lol wont be doing that again… they are fairly powerful…anyway although I never eaten them I been told they are OK.. so i tried them.. Nothing like the Pomfret that’s for sure… nice big fillets though.. meat no so good maybe I should have drowned it on batter :-).

yellowfin
    Participant

or maybe it was a crappy type of shark eg dogfish. My boss also has caught rays bream in kaikoura before. and yes i remember the article from nz fishing news i have it in my collection lying around somewhere as i keep a fair few for recap on the previous years fishing etc. I would think your boat will be big enough. my boss has a senator 780 i think it is and he says it will go out there piece of piss so im sure yours would too.

bluehunter
    Participant

Could have been, looks very similar but without the white spots and no killer spikes on the back… we caught heaps of them, but we released them appart from the big fat one. I’m sure I’ve heard you can eat those ones… could have been the way I cooked it.. will try again as I got the second fillet in the freezer.. 950 grams each fillet… I love fish!. By the way, Cheers for the info.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh yea id beer batter it cut the fillets into more bite sized pieces and mathe the fillets slightly thiner they cook faster

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I hooked a pair of these out from Kaikoura a couple of years back about 100m down in about 130m of water. Great fight compared to cod or perch ! I didn’t keep them as I didn’t know what they were at the time and and regretted it eversince finding out they are so tasty.

Hi bluehunter, I ave been out to a place they call the strawberry patch out from Lyttelton in a mates boat. The weather was dodgy when we left and just got worse. I wished the whole trip I was in my boat (an older Haines) because the boat we were in didn’t ride well in the rough. Your boat should handle it nicely but it really pays to have a good forecast for the next few days. Also make sure your VHF is working and you know how to use it should you run into trouble. I will ask my mate for GPS marks for you but would be surprised if he will dish them out as it is his surefire groper spot !

bluehunter
    Participant

Hello aretheyrunningyet… here is hoping you and your family are all OK… and that goes to everyone here in our fishing community from Christchurch.. and of course to non fishers too. Rough ride to say the least. Thank you for your post and any coordinates you may be able to share would be awesome… I’m sure we can arrange for you to give them to me on the way out to the spot on my boat sometime… :-) Actually that is if the boat still in one piece as It was at Mr Boats and haven really bothered checking yet… as looking at news that area was hit hard. But much more important things going on at the moment… anyway thanks again. Keep the spirits up…

croozer
    Participant

bluehunter

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.