Plans for the winter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    fishsnatcher
    Participant

Some people tend to go into hibernation in the winter, and either stare at forums :oops: or sit by a warm fire and admire there trophies from the year before….

I’ll probably do slightly less fishing, because of weather conditions, but that fishing scratch has to be itched, the reservoirs and lower river reaches are still open, and I may be heading to tekapo for a few days in the school holidays. I’ll give the Tekapo canals a go, might get one of those 20lb+ monsters :twisted:

Though I’ll also do a wee bit on the lake itself

So what are your plans for the winter?

Miliwolf
    Participant

20lb of trout fat :roll:

I still do a little trout fishing during the winter, I do a little trolling and I spin fish a local pond. The fly rods get less action.

St_Paul
    Participant

I usually spend winters tying flies for the next season. Given the winters are a little warmer up here may try and get out with the spinning rod. Any spots you’d care to recommend up here milli?

fishsnatcher
    Participant

[quote:2wc56aga]I still do a little trout fishing during the winter, I do a little trolling and I spin fish a local pond. The fly rods get less action.

I have seen fish rising quite a bit in the winter actually, mostly on the reservoirs, makes me wish I had brought the fly rod, when i see the odd mayfly-midge hatch.
    Last winter I was watching a 6lb+ wild brown that had got into the reservoir continuously rise to midges and ignore my spinner in winter last year… though it would have been a tricky fight on the light tippet needed for small midge dries.

Jackfish
    Participant

I guess your talking about southern resivoir there.

Since you can let the fish run a long way in there tippet shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve caught 6 pounders on 3 pound tippet .

I’ll be fly fishing most weekends this winter. I’ll be having a go in the salt after flounder, barracuda and shark. But mainly targeting winter run rainbows and hopefully browns.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Barracuda are a tropical fish, never heard of any being caught in New Zealand waters before. Good luck catching one.

[quote:2o2nvo4f] Any spots you’d care to recommend up here milli?

I find the Marlborough winters colder then the Canterbury ones… I mainly just stick around the lower Wairau, maybe up to where the Waihopai joins it. The area around the lagoons can be worth fishing when the tide/wind are favorable.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Bara[b:12wn9nwb]coutta[/b:12wn9nwb]?

Jackfish
    Participant

Oh yeah

I mean’t barracoutta

Miliwolf
    Participant

I knew that he meant barracoutta, was just being a prick.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I knew that…

Miliwolf
    Participant

Stealth edited the insult out, Eh?

Which meant I had to edit my response :(

fishsnatcher
    Participant

An insult? Where? :wink:

Miliwolf
    Participant

True, it was a compliment.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Anyone know if any rivers are open near tekapo in the winter? I’m pretty sure they are all closed and it’s just the lakes and another couple of places.
    I had heard a rumour, that there was a 1km stretch of the tekapo open….

Jackfish
    Participant

Nah there are all closed. The canals are open but are pretty unattractive to fish.

The are plenty of fish to be caught in Lake tekapo itself and I’m pretty sure the whole of the tekapo is closed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.