okuma predator surf rods

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shark11
    Participant

just brought a emcast pro to update my old trusty tica septer after quite a few years, looking at getting a new surfcaster to match the emcast ,but dont want to brake the bank either looking up to the $250 mark was quite keen on the okuma predator

or one of the new daiwa coastal rods ,any help would be great

St_Paul
    Participant

If you can find an extra $50, look at the okuma solaris or penn slammer. Both very good rods. mind you I see that the complete angler has the predator for $199 which is a bargain.

shark11
    Participant

thanks mate , is the solaris a much better rod for distance ? , I have been using a penn silverado 13ft and a tica scepta reel
    and can get a good average cast , but the tica is starting to get noisey now , and i dont know weather to bin it or get it serviced probadly cost more that its worth, is the solaris ok to use with braid ?

yellowfin
    Participant

personally id go for a solaris i have on and have not had it long and cant fault it yet

St_Paul
    Participant

from memory the silverado is a cheap knock off of the solaris. I’ve had my solaris for over 5 years and they are a great rod for the dollar. Spare parts are no problem if you have an unfortunate incident with a car door as I did recently. I run mine with an axeon and it casts like a dream, the sceptre I have also works well with it. I’ve caught large sharks, snapper and its handled those with ease.
    What casting technique do you use? I can get about 130m using the off the ground cast with a 5 or 6 oz sinker and a clipped down pulley rig.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Abu Garcia also has a new Surf rod out in that price bracket, the finish on the one I looked over in the shop did not seem to be up to the same standard as the Okuma but doubt it would affect the Rods performance. Truth known, probably made in the same Chinese factory as the Okumas. Retails for just over $200

This is the rod here
    http://www.discountfishingsupplies.co.nz/shop/garcia-surfline-surf-p-4083.html?osCsid=686f6058f3d4ef7129e45baebbe944cd

There are also plenty of Rods for less then $200 which casts and catches fish just fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.