Line setup – Canterbury Coast

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve got 2 identical reels. One with 30lb braid one with 30lb mono.

Mono is more stretchy than Braid – You can feel alot more on braid due to no stretch.

Braid is smaller diameter than mono – Can get more braid on the reel

I dont find alot of difference in casting distance – although in theory braid should be slightly better

I find the mono gets damaged easier – especially if getting smashed by waves on shingle beaches

Braid is heaps more expensive than mono

I’ve got mates who have gone with braid on most of the reels. I just dont see that much of an advantage. Maybe it would be more noticeable if I was jigging or fishing deep water. But off the beach I find either of them is fine.

Duckman
    Participant

thanks for that, yeah was just looking on trade me, some 38lb braid for $1 reserve, do they tie the same as nylon, i.e use the same knots and what colour

yellowfin
    Participant

I usually just make a rig up out of mono and tie the braid to a swivel at the top of the rig.

Some of my mates tie their leader to the braid using a bimini twist knot and then wind it on to the reel. I just hate the sound of the knot going through the eyes of the rod when ya cast.

Also some of that cheap stuff is really thick. and pretty shit. I bought 1000m of 80lb thinking it was a bargain. Turned out to be like string.

Theres a bit of an article here on braid ==> https://fishingmag.co.nz/deepseasuperlines.htm

Duckman
    Participant

good article thanks, now that makes me unsure whether to buy or not, don’t really want to have cut fingers or stuffed rod eyes

yellowfin
    Participant

The cheap braid I used tended to cut into the ceramic on the rod eyes. But the Suffix stuff I have is really good.

yellowfin
    Participant

used both nylon and braid. braiud is olk if its good quality have used cheapewr braids and they get munted fast. the advantage is its much thinner and better bite detection. but really when rig fishing etc you will easily know when you have one . Mono i find handles being beaten up bit more strech and is far cheaper i cdurrently use 25lb mainline with a 60-80lb shock leader and have manmaged some good sharks with this set up

Miliwolf
    Participant

Braid is good when stray lining over weeds and rocks, it floats so less chance of it tangling with the seabed..

yellowfin
    Participant

edit: wrong topic

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.