Line & Knot breaking strain tests

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Guys

Although I am not from NewZealand (NewCastle Australia) we have been over and toured a few times. just loved all of it.

My Mate Blandy has just been over your way Trout fishing for a week.

I guess this is all about fishing lines, knots and how they perform, the site contains a lot of good information on lines, knots and setups.

I offer a free testing service to you all, and all listed information to you, thats if you want to know how the lines you use perform.

A little about the Tests, in part of my business, we run a testing laboratory, so I understand testing procedures. I do this as a hobby at home, so I hope it all helps.

Believe me, the results to date have been more than interesting.

My hobbie is, just fishing, game fishing, this includes building all sorts of stuff, lures small and game, line testing and bottom mapping.

I can update this as i test new lines.

Thanks guys Paulus

Find it all at

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Paulus

Miliwolf
    Participant

Cool site…. If I get my act together I might send a few knots over for testing.

Would be interesting to see how strong the “No Name Knot” also called “Bristol knot” is…. I tie mine without first tying a Bimini Twist so it would be interesting to see how strong it is. I use it to connect all my leaders and it has never failed me on a fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Miliwolf
    I will look at knot up. then try it

Hey Guys i have updated the list on 23,04, 2009 with the following.

Braid, Sunline Super PE 6 lb, Berkley FireLine 15 & 20 lb, Berkley Spiderwire red 8 & 10 lb,  Power Strike 7 lb, Blue Water Fishing 30 lb, Iron Braid 30 & 50 lb, PE Fibre Braided line 30 lb.

Mono type, Javis walker 25 lb, Penn 40 and 50 lb, Mustad thor 8 lb, Mustad Pro Select 12 lb, Berkley Vanish Fluoro 10 lb, Iron Flex 15 lb,

Leader Material, Jinkai Leader 40, Black Magic Supple trace, Black Magic line and Black Magic Leader, lots of names with differing results.
    Extra hardness numbers
    More knots, Bimini Twist
    Still have some more to do.
    Paulus

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Guys
    I always thought that if you got a particular brand line, colour would not matter as far as the breaking strain goes, but I have been thinking wrong.

Some very surprising results in the lower breaking strains.

Just goes to show, I tested some 7 lb line, small diam for the breaking strain, thought I might go the 4 lb, found it twice as thick and broke even higher than the 7 lb, wrong line on the spool. Finally got some 4 lb, nice and thin. You can never be quite sure.

Updated 27,04,2009 with

Braid, Sunline Super PE 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20 lb white and green, Berkley FireLine 15, 20 lb, Berkley Spiderwire red 8, 10 lb, Berkley FireLine Crystal 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 15, 20 lb, Berkley Whiplash Pro 4 lb, Power Strike 4, 7, 14? lb, Blue Water Fishing 30 lb, Iron Braid 30, 50 lb, PE Fibre Braided line 30 lb.

Mono type, Javis walker 25 lb, Penn 40 and 50 lb, Mustad thor 8 lb. Mustad Pro Select 12 lb,Berkley Vanish Fluoro 10 lb, Iron Flex 15 lb,

Leader Material, Jinkai Leader 40, Black Magic Supple trace, Black Magic line and Black Magic Leader, lots of names with differing results.

Extra hardness numbers

More knots, Bimini Twist, and more to do.

Got more line in will do as time is available.

Thanks guys.
    http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.