Limits

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

on a recent trip to the pier crabbing as always i noticed people takig more than their daily limit. one person in particular who i know a couple here know who he is and most proberbly voice the same opinion as i do on him.. well i went to ask how he was going and he had what i would thnk was 6-10 times his daily limit possibly more there in front of me was 2 20l buckets filled to the brim with various sized crab mainly small bait sized but proberbly around 50 big eating sized ( i think limit is 50) so looking at the smaller bait sized he possibly had 300+ of them , i said you know your limit dont you? he said yea i said well why do you need so many? he came up with an excuse about a long line etc but still 300+ crabs thats alot of long lines . Yet this guy complains when he sees the asians and indians taking maybe a few more than their daily limit? dont think this is fair in my opinion. then again this guy says a 7foot sevengiller is a baby and a 10kg ele is a baby compared to his 7foot eles. He also tells me how fucked off he gets with people using smaller mullet for bait etc and how fucked off he got one day when zac used dogfish for bait…. but its still ok for him to take many many times his limit… I was in a bit of a odd spot do i contact fisheries to have them come down and bust him i mean sure its only crabs but too that extent? but also if i ring do they turn around and say so what? and laugh at me?? What would you guys have done?? this guy is an ex commercial fisherman so should have some idea on limits right?

Do you guys often see breaches of limits? If so what do you guys think? Do?

Personally i would like to see fisheries go to the pier more often even a 50 crab limit is fairly good i usually only need enough for bait which is about 30-40 and often i still have a few left over it depends on the lice around

fishforpot
    Participant

A mate of mine quizzed MOF about the gooks taking sacks of tuatua from South Brighton ….he was told “oh we know , but the surveys weve done of the beds shows us the numbers are so huge along there that the stocks can more than handle the extra take , so we aint bothering about it” ………..

Hardly the attitude IMO ………..

I watched 3 guys chopping up at least 10 small rig at Spencers this morning , caught on torpedo …….the thing was out fishing while this was happening …..and they were starting to bait up another 25 traces with crab as I drove off …..

This is the tip of the iceburg , and something needs to be done

yellowfin
    Participant

thanks for your input.. this guy had so many and was in plain view of everyone else it was just stupid

yellowfin
    Participant

to go back on what you said about the beds having huge numbers. they proberbly said the same 20 years ago about blue cod around places such as the sounds kaikoura etc look what happened to the sounds? they proberbly at one point said that about snapper around christchurch and kaikoura again look what happened? in fact they proberbly said that about many specie. rig for one as you have said in the past used to out number dogfish although rig are still in OK numbers still not a patch on what they were. so what will we say in another twenty years to our younger generation going to go get a feed of crab or tua tua ooohhh back in my day son they were evrrywhere now you will struggle to get a feed? Sure there are millions of some things around and sure they can be a pest but again back years ago people proberbly thought the same about certian other specie that now days people have come to love and often struggle to get? …. i do remember talking to ian a while back and he said gurnard used to be prision food!!! yet i would put that near the top of my favourite fish…..

Miliwolf
    Participant

08000 4 Poacher

They probably would not do anything, but at least you have tried.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thank you Thomas yea id doubt they would do anything but yea. if they did do something it would be good

Miliwolf
    Participant

Needed the number earlier in the week when I saw a illegal set net, but rang 0800 poacher by mistake.

Duckman
    Participant

if maf set limits, daily and per person limits then yeah by all means ring them, what if i turned up and took home 10 20cm blue cod, well i wouldn’t but see my point, if there is a limit and or size then as it says they are poaching

St_Paul
    Participant

you can also take photo’s of the offender in possesion of excess and vehicle licence #’s and call Mfish.

yellowfin
    Participant

could take pics of him though dont think they can trace a pushbike

yellowfin
    Participant

Gotta wonder about the crabs though there’s thousands taken every day for years and it’s getting more popular yet the crabs just keep coming and coming but I guess by the time people start noticing a decline in numbers it’ll be to late, can’t say that’s a bad thing those crabs make bait fishing during the day hard and the reason you don’t get rig there in daylight.

The guy you’re talking about doesn’t do that every day he just fills his buckets for the freezer to last until it runs out but guess that doesn’t make it right. There used to be asian guys up there taking loads and selling them to restaurants, a few of those got caught and all their gear and I think even their car taken.

yellowfin
    Participant

About the original post.. who cares about longlines, this guy obviously hasn’t got a lot of respect for rules or nature, it’d serve him right if he got a fine. Doesn’t sound like he’d be very responsible with whatever he catches on his longlines.

smokin’ joe
    Participant

The fiery ginga

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.