Land based spots in Picton?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I saw that there were quite a few jettys here on Google earth (I’m on holidayin Picton now), but they all seem to be private, seems like a bit of an exclusive old boys club here where they have signs boasting about what bays they own e.g. Apple Bay, , Private access. I had a look today and couldn’t see anywhere land based worth a crack other than Karaka point. I’ll head over to Port Underwood tonight if the rain isn’t too bad. Any ideas?

yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t take your yak with you then?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Shelly beach which is a short walk/drive from Picton is worth a fish in the evenings or early morning. The breakwater of the Waikawa Marina could be worth a glance. Or even the small beach and wharf by the yatch club…

Or drive further down the QC Drive or towards port underwood.

If St_paul sees this he should be able to help.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

In the grove arm theres several places, Governers bay which is a ten minute walk, Momorangi bay which has a public use jetty, Aussie bay which has been known to produce good snapper around mid tide, then the jetty at the top of the grove is good too.

yellowfin
    Participant

Do they catch snapper from the Momorangi bay jetty?? Fished there a few times with very limited results!

St_Paul
    Participant

The breakwaters at Waikawa bay or waikawa marina are worth a crack around dusk or dawn. Bobs bay can be worth the 20 minute walk from shelley beach. The wee jetty at queen charlotte yacht club can be worth a crack as can the jetty at waikawa bay. The secret is burley burley burley and burley some more prfereably on an out going tide at dusk. Try usinfg small mullety livies under a float

yellowfin
    Participant

grimace

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.