Kaikoura fishing regulations submissions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

There has been new proposals announced for Kaikoura fishing regulations. They are after further submissions.

http://fishnet.co.nz/teamkorowai/docs/T … t_2011.pdf

The main proposed changes which would impact Surf casters are.

Kahawai: Reduce bag limit to 10

Red Moki: no-take policy

Sharks: Institute limits of one game shark per person per day (Seven giller, Mako, Blue, Bronze, Hammerhead, Porbeagle and thresher shark), and a bag limit of 2 school sharks.

These a lot more changes inside the document.

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds good

St_Paul
    Participant

Will have to have a read of the document but the ones you have listed sound good, I would be in favour of a 5 kahawai per day limit with min size being 30cm. Sharks don’t have an issue with, almost never keep any and 1 decent sized schoolie provides a shit load of fish.

fishforpot
    Participant

Ya cant say shit ……..oh shit I said shit

Kahawai limit 2 ……elephant fish 1 …..rig 1 ……that’s all you need for a feed …..total baglimit of 3 fish ….excluding mullet

I dont freeze fish , only take what I can eat ……

We need to fight to keep the setnet ban , and extend it to the whole country …..and more restraints on the commercial fishermen

yellowfin
    Participant

I like the idea of 1 elephant bag, in fact I would like to see a ban of a couple years on elephants from trawlers and a blanket net ban to get numbers back up. Canterbury doesn’t have great surf fishing why not try and protect the one decent fish we have!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Remember to send in submissions, while they might not hold a lot of weight, feedback from recreational anglers supporting reductions in bag limits might just encourage them to do so.

Submissions can be made by emails
    http://fishnet.co.nz/teamkorowai/docs/T … _Final.pdf

yellowfin
    Participant

I would imagine that a lot of fishermen would not want to do a lot of travel,100 plus km to catch only 1 fish of a species.
    Too little a catch may encourage more sneaky tactics to harvest more fish than allowed.Two fish of each of rig and ele sounds
    better.Some will learn to see dogfish in a better light and learn to eat them,washed down with single malt of course.

yellowfin
    Participant

id still go the 100km odd km to only get one fish that doesnt mean you can catch and release them all day and then just take one catch and release is a good sporting way, as for eating doggys still a no no

yellowfin
    Participant

Recreational fishing is nothing compared to commercial fishing. I’ve got no problem on limiting the amount of rig, eles, kahawai etc we can take as long as they actually do something about the commercial operations and maybe a ban on species like elephant fish to give them a chance to increase in numbers. There is no reason dogfish should outnumber all other fish on our beaches apart from the rest being overfished and wiped out by trawlers. There is a lot of business and money in commercial fishing so it’s never going to stop, we just have to accept that fishing off our beaches will never be what it used to be and there will be a time when it’s not even worth going out.

yellowfin
    Participant

AGREE TOTALLY ZAC

fishforpot
    Participant

Recreational take from setnets along the coast took way more than surfcasters ever did …..the fishing has improved out of sight over the last few years with the net ban …

15yrs ago you couldnt catch an elephant fish or rig off Amberly …..the setnets had wiped them out ….

Spencer park is a good example also , 10yrs ago a brace of ele’s was a great outing …..now you can rock down there during the day and take 2-3 home ….

1 guy I recall down there years ago used to drive along the beach in a converted Holden 4wd , and tow a net out with a canoe …..he’d be back the next day with 5-6 family members , and take everything they possibly could …… this was 2-3 times a week ….

GPS data on trawlers is a worthwhile idea , keep them 4miles offshore …… no need to ban them , but we MUST keep the setnets from returning

yellowfin
    Participant

Those regulations look fine. Didn’t know there were red moki around here?

A limit of one fish on anything other than large sharks seems a bit excessive unless it’s an endangered species. Some people travel large distances only a few times per season, hoping they might get lucky and have something for the freezer. What surfcasters catch is nothing compared with commercial fishermen anyway.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.