Jigging on the Lakes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fishsnatcher
    Participant

I Have posted in another forum that I am considering buying a downrigger [just waiting for a cheapie to come up on trademe]

The main reason I chose downriggin above leadling is dowrigging allows the fish to fight to its full potential, plus it is more accurate when you want to target the fish at the perfect depth.

Jigging is also an option I would like to consider, I have had no experience in this, but sounds interesting and I’ll give any method of fishing a try.

So any advice on rods, tackle, etc when looking at getting into jigging [I would be fishing on the southern lakes etc]?

Yakkaman
    Participant

Just my opinion, with trout fishing they say fish your feet first which is true,brownies stay close to the shoreline as do some rainbows, when is a downrigger required in big lakes where salmon lie deep (lanlock, )
    I flyfish and jig from a kayak and have been very successful personally i would not buy a downrigger.

buy the way they take soft baits but your not aloud to use scented

Merry Xmas.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Well since I’m planning on getting a kayak, what rigs should i use for jigging, is it like the snapper jigs you see on TV with sofbait?
    I’d like to try softbait jigging, but havn’t a clue how to go about it :?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I might be wrong but I believe most people jig with flys.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

No your right, they do both softbait jigging and using flies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.