How would you like a fishing platform like this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

On the last summer before we came to NZ, back in Brazil, my family and I used to go almost everyday to our little city’s fishing platform. You could simply visit the place and pay about 2.50 nz dollars or you could be a member, paying 50 nz dollars for your membership card and then 7.50 every month to go there at any time with one rod (I think it was free for your children’s rods) plus extra fees if you wanted extra rods. You could also go as a casual angler and pay for the rods and for the day fishing which obviously became more expensive than a membership card eventually if you went there frequently.

Anyway, you check out the website http://www.plataformadeatlantida.com.br and go to “galeria de fotos” to check out fish caught, historic photos, etc or go straight to http://www.plataformadeatlantida.com.br … lataforma/ to see today’s platform photos.

My question is: if there was a similar place here in Canterbury, Christchurch probably, would you go there? I reckon I would. The place was cool, simple but I still liked it. There was shelter, a little bar, toilet and tackle + bait for sale and I can tell you: If it wasn’t for the fact that people don’t respect the law in Brazil, and the comercial fishing boats didn’t stay so close to the beach, you would catch big fish there frequentely…

Even though Brazil is a pretty shitty place I still have some good memories fishing with my dad, Paulo(whose account this is) and the rest of my family… We also met many other fishermen and women… It ended up becaming sort of a community

I don’t know how much it would cost to build something like that… but my question is: would you like a place like that or people see fishing with different eyes here in NZ?

Nicolas

fishforpot
    Participant

Awesome looking platform ……it would be awesome running out off some of the headlands off the eastern end of Banks Peninsula ….

Does the water ever clear up ? looks like fishing in mud lol …
    Wicked looking fish tho , the 4 I managed to find pics of ….I bet they have some power ….any good to eat ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It does look like mud at some days but on some days is quite clear… Although the best ones to catch catfish, my favourite fish, are quite dirty looking…
    And yes, you can pretty much eat everything you get there, sharks, guitarfish and the ones you saw “corvinas” plus catfish are my favourites. You can’t eat the annoying globefish which take your hooks off =)

tracknz
    Participant

Paulo we pretty much do have a platform like that in the New Brighton pier. Not as large perhaps but everything else is there, resturant, bar , cafe, toilets etc. The only real difference is the shelter aspect, which a tarp takes care of, and the cost aspect where we have to pay nothing to use it.

fishforpot
    Participant

Is the platform any good for catching crabs off paulo ? lmao

Anonymous
    Inactive

tracknz, I think there are some key differences… The fact that most people at the Pier are not anglers is one that, I don’t know, feels weird for me. Also, the restaurant is more of a place for tourists, it’s even kind of expensive. Plus, it doesn’t look like a place where a bunch of guys smelling fish would sit to talk while eating some cheap but good snacks, looking at their rods outside. I don’t know, another thing that bothers me at the Pier is that only a small percentage of the place is worth fishing from… But I suppose you’re right: many people would be discouraged to fish in a place where you need to pay monthly…
    Still, I would not mind…

And yeah, fishforpot, you could catch crabs =) but nobody actually targeted them with pots, etc. Sometimes they would simply hold to your hook and most of the time you would manage to land them before they got off your hook. I’ve never thought of using them as bait, though, like people do it here…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.