Cray pots

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    oompalompa
    Participant

hi guys

bout to head a way for the long weekend with kids and wife to a bay on banks pensulia. gonna do a little rock fishin, shell fish hunting etc- i wondered though about bout throwing a cray pot out. i assume hunting and fisshing will have them. will prob get a bait net to chuck out as well for a bit of fun -are there any rules and regs i need to know…. i am about to google it but any ideas or tips also well recieved as the odd cray here and there should help keep me in the good books( or get me out a hole) with the mrs

cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

I know this reply isn’t much help! My eldest son, now living overseas, would swim out off the beach with his wet suit on and come back within a few minutes with a huge crayfish. He seemed to be able to catch one from from just about anywhere. When we camped at Goose Bay, near Kaikoura, some of the campers would drop a cray pot or two over night. Sometimes they would be successful other times not. I have also been out on crayfishing boats when they have been lifting their pots. Many pots would come up with nothing in them; while one or two pots would catch quite a few!

Miliwolf
    Participant

These no guarantee that H&F has them.. Depending on the exact location it might be worthwhile, try and drop it near rocky terrain.

You can find all regulations on this page here
    http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recreatio … efault.htm

oompalompa
    Participant

we are going to peraki beach/station on the southern part of the pensulia, it is a private beach so hopefully hasnt had to much of a pilligaging- will prob borrow a wetsuit and go for a splash but thought a pot could be good if water is to cold ( i can be a pansy sometimes) also might be abit of fun for the kids

yellowfin
    Participant

some of the warehouses sell colapasable cray pots , not te folding square things or the opera house ones but they are a bit bigger and more heavy duty, think they are about 50 bucks each

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had a look on google earth, Try and set it towards the outer points of the bay. I suspect there should be crayfish there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.