Buying a Kayak

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    fishsnatcher
    Participant

I’m looking at getting a decent fishing kayak, with a budget of around $400-650 in mind , I was looking at the viking espri

http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/store/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=4470 which I have seen reasonably cheap on trademe [within my price range], and Is a common kayak on sale there along with the Viking Tempo etc.

It has the things I’m looking for, reasonably stable, fishing gear compartments, price range, places to mount rod-holders.

I would be using it mostly for fishing on still waters, and possibly the Dunedin Harbour, aswell as maybe a bit of going out, a little way off one of the nearby beaches. I would also like to some time after I’ve brought a kayak to put a fish finder on it.

Is this possible? Almost all the kayaks I have seen with transducer holes fitted have been $1000+…..

I would get the perception escapade if I saw it on trademe for a good price, but so far it has been elusive, it is only $100 more than the viking espri brand new, so… one would expect that it would be slightly more than the espri 2nd hand also, It has the ability to have a transducer fitted with no modifications.

And has two large compartments for gear, aswell as 1-2 smaller ones.

Miliwolf
    Participant

bare in mind that the transducer mounts on the perception kayaks can only mount hummingbird fishfinders without modification. The hummbird finders are rubbish and are not fit to be used on a kayak.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Is that so? Thanks for the info!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, my humminbird lasted about 2 months before dieing, if you look on the fishnet yak forum their are many stories of them dieing. It is possible with a few modifcations to fit fish finders onto most/all yaks.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Save up and buy one that you intend to fish from rather than starting out then have to change because you don’t have all the options that you need.

Trade me has a good price on a swing and it is kitted out ready to go incl f/finder $1350.00 buy now

Yakkaman
    Participant

Held our meeting at Newbrighton sports shop tonight.

Big ups to Pete thx 4 all the talk and those new rods are something the alvey 6500 reels are magic a few good uses 4 them!!![b]

10 of us are heading 2 Kaikoura we will b on the water by 9am ky and salmon are plentiful huge work ups going on.

I’ll keep an eye out 4 fellow shore fish’os b good 2 see what all the catch is amongst us all, [b]any challenges or just a good day out!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.