Birdlings Flat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Things are looking up at Birdlings! :)

Toward the left next to the cliff’s they have created a channel which is always meant to be open to allow a permanent opening to the sea for lake forsyth. The idea was to build rock groynes at the entrance. Waves banking against the groynes would keep the channel scoured and their energy would stir the lower lake and flush it. This isnt working as the waves breaking pile up shingle blocking the entrace. Im no engineer but I could have told them this never would have worked. This was the problem when they used to create a channel toward the sea, the rock bank was ment to stop this.

But for fishing I think this will be quite exciting as I think this rock pile will create a nice area for moki to live around, also on the north face of it when the swell is down it could make it abit more sheltered.

Tight lines everyone! :)

yellowfin
    Participant

I hope you’re right about the moki. I was against the project because it would stop people from being able to get down to the cliffs to fish, and this is one place where you can get moki.
    A big concrete pipe that sticks out above the sea bed might be a more practical option for connecting the lake and the sea, with the way the shingle constantly moves.

yellowfin
    Participant

On the plus side, the water quality in Lake Forsyth might improve a little.

I do remember one of my first fishing trips when I moved down here. We liked the look of the rocks at Birdlings, but thought the lake drained to the sea so took the long way around!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Any photos of the channel.

yellowfin
    Participant

grimace

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

I got 5 or 6 wrasse the one time I went to Tumbledown bay, didn’t catch any other species. I’d be interested to see what you’d catch there at night (Moki maybe?), though it probably wouldn’t be the safest place to fish in the dark.
    I was going to fish at Te Oka bay, the next bay around, but I came to a sign saying that only registered walkers could enter the farmland there outside of the lambing season, and anyone else would be prosecuted.

yellowfin
    Participant

You can get access to the beach, may just have to scoot round the rocks. Access to Magnet bay is easy enough, havent fished there but surfcasting off the rocks there looks like an idea. Well looking at google earth anyway! :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

I did a bit of fishing at Tumbledown Bay while at university down that way, never caught anything but I was not into surfcasting back then and my gear sucked .

Looks like it holds potential for Moki. It is quite a long drive from anywhere.

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished at Magnet bay for about 45 minutes, got one wrasse but gave up pretty quickly because of the snags. One guy I know reckons he was catching blue cod there. Banks Peninsula would be a good place to fish if it wasn’t for the damn snags, it gets pretty annoying when every second retrieve gets snagged.

yellowfin
    Participant

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

The simple solution to Bank’s Peninsula: get a kayak :)
    Thats the plan anyway.

Caught wrasse at tumbledown once, but don’t fancy the walk again.

Less snags at mgnet if you walk around to the right and fish out towards a wee rock. Red cod but not much else.

Ngai Tahu opening Forsyth is fine by me if it gets rid of all the c**p leaching in from the farm up the valley with the unfenced streams.

yellowfin
    Participant

I cant stand bloody wrasse.. Dislike them about as much as I dislike spotties!

I’m still yet to do any good over at tumbledown. We made a few trips over there last summer. We caught alot of wrasse, couple of blue cod, some small doggies and some small red cod, seen heaps of baitfish, but we didnt really get onto anything decent..

I saw what was either tarakihi or moki in amongst the kelp while snorkelling but not alot else. Hopefully I’ll do better this year :grin:

Havent been to birdlings for a long time. I’ve been meaning to venture over there.. But the weather hasn’t been onside lately.
    Quite interested in this channel though.. Think it muct be time to start gearing up for warmer days ahead

gconnell
    Participant

Hi , what species of fish are mainly
    caught around tumbledown bay.
    cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.