ALVEY REELS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Yakkaman
    Participant

Who is using Alvey reels and what is your thoughts on them?

I hear these are a good alround reel.

yellowfin
    Participant

I use Alvey reels for surfcasting, haven’t tried their boat reels although I’m using an Alvey 550C sidecaster in the kayak for now because my spinning reels have issues. Alveys have their pros and cons, the reason I use them is that they don’t crap out easily like a lot of other reels do – I got sick of spinning reels only lasting a trip or two before the drag stops working, then another 3 or 4 trips before more serious problems set in. I guess you get what you pay for, and it pays to always rinse saltwater out if any gets in your reel.
    There are some articles on this website, or have a look at http://www.alvey.com.au or google it.

Yakkaman
    Participant

I have read that a few people are switching over to alvey 45bc reel for use off there kayaks, they are a low entry reel but the hype is out there Stephen Tapp reconmends this reel?

yellowfin
    Participant

45BC.. they look like they’d be OK for catching small to medium sized fish as long as you’re not fishing deep water.
    Because they’re only 4.5 inches wide and don’t have gears, it’d takes ages to reel your line in if you were fishing in deep water. But typically we’re only fishing in water 10-15m deep I think, although there are some deep spots just South of Kaikoura..

Yakkaman
    Participant

Sorry this is the reel they are raving about using it on a 5-6ft ugly stick etc.

The 425B Alvey fly reel features a strong, light weight graphite construction which makes them a great match with lighter rods. Built to handle serious saltwater fly fishing with a beautifully smooth (adjustable) multi-plate clutch and a super strong non-reverse drag which can be finely tuned.

This model has the handle attached to a handle plate working through a clutch and non-reverse system which does not let the handle move backwards when a fish runs. Other features include the vented back plate, a strong metal foot and a ratchet to control line stripping.

These reels are built for heavy duty fresh water fly such as king salmon or blue water ocean fly fishing.

Also available in left hand.

spool diameter: 100mm (4”)
    line capacity: 500m of 30lb Braid + fly line
    weight: 370g
    rod size: 10wt +

Miliwolf
    Participant

The reel you have above is a fly reel……

Here is the info regarding the 45BC if that what you meant?

http://www.alvey.com.au/default.asp?contentID=552

yellowfin
    Participant

I can vouch for the alvey. I managed to fill mine with sand after an unfortunate episode with a freak wave. The reel continued to work perfectly until I got around to giving it a proper clean. As for spinning reels, you should,be getting more than a few trips out even with a ‘cheapy’. I always tighten up the drag and use a water spray bottle after use rather than soaking the whole reel. This seems to work okay.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.