Yellow-eyed mullets – Has anyone been to Kaiapoi lately?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So, just wondering, since they’re back at the Pier… Has anyone been to Kaiapoi lately?

Thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to saturday to kaiapoi, seemed a little slow only 3 mullet caught, although probbly didnt have the best bait, prawns and squid left over from fishing at amberly beach.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I’ve used squids on my first time at Kaiapoi didn’t catch anything during those 2 – 3 hours. Changed to some bonito and got heaps of them…

thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Paulo Silva

rdeejay
    Participant

Was out there last Saturday, once the tide came up and the whitebaiters buggered off i fished around the bmx track and raven quay, was alright got heaps of the little buggers biting but being the elusive buggers they can be at times only managed 3. I use bread for bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea abou now is the best time for mullet inthe kaiapoi though till early april id say. best bait would be sea worms but never can be f$#%@! going to get em. so usually use pillie or bonito. i will also use a 3/0 hook on my trace with a larger bait to catch kahawai at times while ullet fishing. was going to go today actually but going to pier tonight

yellowfin
    Participant

Popped down opposite the BMX track for an hour or two this avo before high tide. 4 mullet caught on Sabiki’s with bonito for bait. First fish was a decent size, the rest kept getting smaller so I stopped once I’d got enough for the cat.

mulletman
    Participant

where abouts is the bmx track :?:

yellowfin
    Participant

mulletman

mulletman
    Participant

go to the end of kibble white street in south brighton theres mullet for africa and the odd small kahawai. but use a 2/0 hook because the mullet there are huge. bonito, worms or sand worms work best :grin:

fishforpot
    Participant

Might pay to carry some poppers if heading to kibble white street ….

The Kingies should be heading past there by now , the same ones that were going up past macintoshes last year lol

yellowfin
    Participant

lolololol

yellowfin
    Participant

went to the macintosh earlier and fished for 3 hours, got 5 descent mullet, getting heaps of bites, will try my luck again tomorrow :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

back out this morning at the macintosh hole, saw 2 salmon caught, i caught a dozen mullet so not a bad day out :grin:

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Mullet in front of the yacht clubrooms at Stewarts Gully on high tide too.
    Sprinkle breadcrumbs into the water and drop a lightly baited sabiki into the “vapour trail” of crumbs.
    Don’t feed them up too much though, they only have small bellies eh.

For even more fun, put a small float on top of the sabiki rig and just a split shot on the bottom to hold it straight for some absolutely mind-bending fun, see and feel the bites!
    The float will aid your strike and improve the catch rate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.